Dive sites suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The conditions in Krabi are really at their best during this time. You can charter a speed boat if you like the "white knuckle ride" option, but by far the most popular choice is the dayboat trip. Both our dayboats get you out to the good sites. Maximum of 8 divers with 2 guides. With inexperienced divers we always find an easy site with plenty to see to get you back into your diving.

Despite the poor visibility and generaly damaged marine ecosystem, limited marine life and abundant litter in the water. Pattaya diving does have one benefit that you require, simply avoid the big shops with boats full of IDC students and you will find both the boats and dive sites are rarely crowded.
I wonder why that is??

According to my research and your help, Similan islands is really the best place for us... I just need to find a dive operator offering overnights or a three days liveaboard.

Also, I wonder which would be the best sites from Krabi or Phuket.

Which would be the best sites for OW divers for two or three days : Phi Phi, Koh Bida, Shark Point, Anemone Reef, Racha Yai, Racha Noi, Hin Muang, Hin Duang...

I agree with earlier posts, Pattaya really is far from the best option of dive destinations.
I for one certainly would not travel any great distance to dive there.

According to my research and your help, Similan islands is really the best place for us... I just need to find a dive operator offering overnights or a three days liveaboard.

Which would be the best sites for OW divers for two or three days : Phi Phi, Koh Bida, Shark Point, Anemone Reef, Racha Yai, Racha Noi, Hin Muang, Hin Duang...

Hey Martin,
I see you're reconsidering your original plan to avoid liveaboards. There are a couple going out to the Similans that offer three-day trips on a regular schedule, and those are likely to carry 20+ divers each. Then there are the flexible-stay options, in which you stay on the liveaboard according to your own schedule--that is, you board when it's convenient for you, and you leave when it's convenient. These boats transfer divers from the mainland by way of speedboat, so the liveaboards can become quite "busy" for the overlapping dives, with 30 or more divers on the boat at once. There are also a couple of options that allow you to stay on one of the islands in the Similans overnight. These are speedboat tours, so there are fewer divers, and you sleep in your own space on land rather than in a boat, which makes it feel somewhat less cramped.

As for which dive sites are most suited for Open Water divers, it all depends on your comfort level. For novice divers or anybody who needs some easy dives to get themselves back into diving mode, of the dive sites you listed, I would suggest taking a pass on Hin Muang and Hin Daeng. All the others are fine for novices.

Sea Dragon out of Khao Lak do a 3day/3night option. We could do a package for you with the Krabi diving included. From Ao Nang you have Phi Phi, Bidas (all 3, don't forget Hin Bida), Shark Point, Anemone Reef, King Cruiser......... Off down to Hin Daeng this Tuesday, got a speed boat charter, can't wait!:D

....Also, I wonder which would be the best sites from Krabi or Phuket.

Old thread, but I will chime in to say that you just listed my favorite dive sites, also add Ko Haa to the list.

Hin Daeng/Muang is most easily reached if you are staying in Ko Lanta.
Shark Point, Anemone Reef, Racha Yai, Racha Noi are closer to Phuket.

Ditto above for the old thread, your prob here by now and on the trip ...

Just like to add - Be careful of the speedboat to liveaboard trips, these often get extremely crowded and you will be hurried along whether it is busy or not. They all have a schedule to keep and the schedule comes first.

I would suggest for you to do a day trip down to Rachya Yai first (if staying on Phuket). Diving isn't world class but with a decent DM you will have a good time and get your confidence up. Then after that if your more confident head out on the Shake Point trip. 3rd day if you think you can handle a little hurried activity jump on the speedboat to liveaboard trip/s for a day trip or an overnight stay.

Just my 2 bobs worth, but worth taking a note if you have yet to go through with your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom