Dive Vacation for Female Traveling Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caroln:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good place to go for a female traveling solo? I don't need anything fancy, just clean and safe. I don't need much to do besides dive, but somewhere that it's easy to hook up with dive buddies would be a plus. Oh yeah, and somewhere warm would be preferable.

Someone mentioned Thailand. I'm a single female and I traveled to Thailand Nov 2005. It was spectacular and I felt incredibly safe. I walked alone at night and never once felt scared. I did a live aboard for a few days, but also did some day trips. All were excellent.

I also traveled solo to Yap/Palau in Feb 2006. Again, fabulous, and I never felt unsafe. Did day trips in Yap, live aboard in Palau, and then a few days just hanging out in Palau. Again, walked alone at night and never felt unsafe.

Haven't travled solo to Cozumel, but have walked around solo and felt very safe there as well.

good luck nad I hope you have a great trip wherever you end up.

This year I drove down the coast from NYC to Key West. Camping on the outer banks and diving the wrecks off the coast is awesome in the summer.

My fave, though was staying at the Hungry Pelican in Key Largo for either $40 or $60 per night. Less than a mile away were all the boats in KL. You could find anything you want to eat, drink or party with. Very friendly area, even alone.

Best boats: Ocean divers is a cattle boat with a good staff. Scuba-do, (20 feet up the dock) is cheaper and carries 10 or less divers. I haven't met the new management, but I hear it's still great. A few miles south is Conch Republic. It's a great, friendly boat and it goes to sites most others don't.

I don't think you'd have any trouble finding a buddy in Cozumel, lots of single (as in solo travelers). Tons of good dive ops. If nothing else hire a divemaster if you can't find a buddy to your liking. Cheap to stay, very safe, good food, other activities, easy to get to. There have been some killer air deals to Cozumel in the last few days, as in $197.00 r/t taxes incld.(charter flights) from various cites, Atlanta being one, seems there was one out of New Jersey, but can't remember for sure.

May I sujest my Island of Saipan just north of Guam. We get a fair number of solo divers and more than half female at our dive shop (Speedy Turtle). We have cheap hotels near the beach and walking distance from the dive shop. Over ten major lanaguages are spoken hear so you feel that you are not at home in the US. Water temp 85 to 88 degrees F. Our vis is usally 100 ft plus.

Dale
Still on a little rock in the Pacific

SEE my reply under "BELIZE" I went there alone, and did just fine. It is safe, warm, easy to find buddies, cheap and anything else you would want!

Hello,
I am also a female diver from Vancouver BC. I will be travelling to Puerto Rico in May where I plan to dive for a week. I have a hotel and dive shop already picked out but no buddy as of yet. I still plan on diving regardless of whether or not I have a buddy but you are more than welcome to join me if you are interested. Please email me at minipinny@yahoo.ca. Just mention solo female in you subject line and I will lknow who it is.

CARHILL:
May I sujest my Island of Saipan just north of Guam. We get a fair number of solo divers and more than half female at our dive shop (Speedy Turtle). We have cheap hotels near the beach and walking distance from the dive shop. Over ten major lanaguages are spoken hear so you feel that you are not at home in the US. Water temp 85 to 88 degrees F. Our vis is usally 100 ft plus.

Dale
Still on a little rock in the Pacific
Sounds great, Dale! Could you give an idea as to what a cheap hotel in Saipan costs? (I'm hoping to do an *exotic* but inexpensive dive trip in the near future and am currently considering Thailand or the Philippines. But I must say, Saipan sounds more exotic. :wink:)

If it means i get to dive, my bags are packed i'll be anyone's instabuddy. My other half is a non-diver who would be more than happy to pawn me off on someone so i could blow bubbles.

If you decide on Thailand, let me know. I have some good recommendations for very nice, inexpensive accommodations in a beautiful, safe setting.

Has anyone been to the Corn Islands off the coats of Nicaragua? I'm heading there solo in early March and would love some recommendations. Or, if anyone is looking for a dive trip and a buddy...

I am with the others recommending a liveaboard.
We were on the Nekton last summer (me and my hubby) but there were 5 men who came without their non-diving spouses and they immediately became buddies. They really got along well and dove as a 5-person group. And if someone else on the boat wanted to dive but their buddy didn't, it was easy to find someone else to hang with - its funny about liveaboards- everyone is fast friends immediately!
By the last day everyone was hugging and exchanging phone numbers. You would feel very safe.

robint

Back
Top Bottom