Dive Vacations--Familiarity or Diversity????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cost and quality of diving. That means I get to Cozumel and Bonaire fairly regularly. I can't see spending much more just to go somewhere with a different name unless the diving is something special.

Hard question, but one I struggle with. I've been to Bonaire 8 times & love it. Last time was a solo trip & got in 28 dives (25 solo, 2 boat, 1 guided). I've dove a few places on cruise ship stops (Grand Cayman, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, St. Croix, Puerto Rico, Cozumel, Costa Maya) and I've done a dedicated 1-week dive trip to the Florida Keys (20 dives). Not counting the local quarry.

Now when I plan a solo traveler dedicated dive trip now, I ask myself…Bonaire again? Or somewhere else?

Bonaire - I know the lay of the land & how to get around, I can drive there, I know how to find food, the diving workflow, I don't need to stop for directions, pretty much everything is known and reliable. I can solo dive there. It's good general Caribbean diving, cheap (shore diving) once there and plentiful. Not perfect - I've yet to see a shark there, tiger grouper are nice but I miss the black & goliath grouper & sharks of the Florida keys, and I found the Florida Keys to be fishier.

A 'swing vote' for me is the 'scuba trip disguised as a family vacation,' as my wife puts it, when I need a destination that can entertain my wife, pre-toddler daughter and mother-in-law. That's kind of how Key Largo happened. And how Jupiter got on my calendar for later this year. Ready access to U.S. health care in case our daughter gets sick, U.S. traffic laws, the stores and such for family to enjoy. And I'm interested in the sand tiger shark diving off North Carolina, as a future bucket item.

But for dedicated dive trips, should I...

1.) Go to Curacao? Like Bonaire, except I don't know my way around, the work flow's a bit different, side roads make distance between dive sites greater, it's harder to pack as many dive sites into the trip and the swim outs are longer? Sandy beaches don't mean much to me. Curacao sounds like it might be fun to take others who want to do something besides dive.

2.) CocoView, Roatan (or Reef House Resort)? Nice, but the shore diving is the house reef, and people talk like you don't see much big stuff (but that didn't stop me from Bonaire). Remains a 'maybe someday.'

3.) Cozumel - stay at Hotel Cozumel & see if Living Underwater can pick me up there? If not, can Aldora? Might be an option for when family is along for the ride, if they can be entertained while I'm off diving. Enjoyed my 2 dives in Cozumel (Palancar Garden was mediocre, but Santa Rosa was sweet).

4.) Live-aboard - AquaCat, Bahamas? Much loved, but people sometimes knock Bahamas diving compared to competitors. And I'm an introvert, not a people person. On a boat all week with no way out? And navigation is not my thing, creating another awkward issue. But sounds like a LOT of good diving without too much distraction. Heard good things about the Cayman Aggressor, and starting to wonder if hitting the Cayman islands that way wouldn't be a better idea. Having trouble summoning the courage to commit to being trapped on a boat all week with no prior experience with it. I'm also conservative and I don't like surprises.

Since I loathe being on a plane 4+ hours, and am still employed so taking a long time off makes any travel time going or coming over a day objectionable, and would likely be traveling along as a conservative introvert, there are a number of places I'd like to try but probably won't hit for years, if ever...

1.) Philippines.
2.) Raja Ampat.
3.) Komodo via live-aboard.
4.) PNG.

Now, double my income and make me a financially independent retiree still in good health, and that could change.

Right now, if God continues to grant me the opportunities He has thus far, my struggle for a solo trip in 2015 is between going back to Bonaire or biting the bullet and doing a live-aboard, particularly the Cayman Aggressor.

Richard.

For me, going to the same destination 30 times would be like a prison sentence. I understand some people like the security and familiarity of a destination and are repeat visitors but personally.......eeek!.

Ive visited several countries multiple times - ie Indonesia - but rarely the same island other than N Sulawesi which ive done 4 times..but split between Bangka, Lembeh and Bunaken. Anywhere with that many different diverse dive sites - ie Alor has totally different diving from Sumatra - appeals to me rather than spending each visit in tulumben because its quick easy and cheap from here. Over the years ive visited Thailand 6 times all different locations other than Ao Nang as I lived there 30 years ago so it has sentimental value.

Destinations I would/am going back to - PNG, French Polynesia. On the way to FP I probably would dive Poor Knights in NZ again because my flights have to go through NZ. Theres another 30 countries I have on the to dive list, im happy to go without a few things (ie Alcohol) to do so.

4.) Live-aboard - AquaCat, Bahamas? Much loved, but people sometimes knock Bahamas diving compared to competitors. And I'm an introvert, not a people person. On a boat all week with no way out? And navigation is not my thing, creating another awkward issue. But sounds like a LOT of good diving without too much distraction.

To your concerns:

I know lots of people who have had lovely times diving in the Bahamas. After not one but two attempts, I am not one of them. Never going back.

I am pegged at the end of the introvert scale, and I had the same concern about too much face time. As it turns out, the areas of the boat are distinct enough that it is usually possible to find a place with some space and quiet and if all else fails, I just go read in the cabin a bit. I'm into alone time at least as much as anyone I've ever met, and I manage to do okay on liveaboards, for what it's worth.

Navigation's not my thing either, but it's not that big a deal on the liveaboard diving I've done. There's always a DM to stick with if you want, and the sites are usually not so complicated that you'd really lose the boat too badly if you struck out on your own (barring current, of course). If worse came to worse and you managed to lose the boat anyway, you'd just do your normal ascent with safety stop, then go up to get a bearing, and swim back to the boat at 15 feet. No biggie.

Yes, it's a lot of good diving with little distraction. One warning, you may never be able to stand resort diving again once you've tried a decent liveaboard.

Tropically, I've only dive vacationed in Panama. Snowbirding on the North Gulf Coast I do seek new places when possible. For me, it's all about the shells, and legal/dive op tolerance of collectors. If that's the case in the same old place, I'll go there too.

It's cost that rules. We go to Cozumel because for us it's cheaper. We have been to other places and we continue to look for other places. Whenver we plan a vacation we have our list of places we want to go, we get the costs for all then compare. We do have multiple vacations per year. Skipping a trip to afford a trip does not appeal to me as I need to get away. in the past, I have been told by coworkers that it was time to go on vacation. We are planning to go to Bonaire next year though.

We like...both.

We tend to alternate between a known and a new destination as much as possible.
One reason for this is protecting ourselves from disappointment. Example:
Last May, we dove Oahu and while the diving was good, it wasn't great. So rather than go to another new place, we chose to go back to Cozumel for our next trip.

I like to know what I am getting in to, not fond of surprises unless they are pleasant ones.

Given my locale and diving regularly at least once every two weeks on average, I have my familiar sites and operators, which is a sort of comfort zone. I am picky on the dive sites and familiarity means I then know what lens to fit and what I plan to photograph.

When traveling outside of UAE I tend to go east, I have had several trips to Philippines, done Puerto Galera enough to probably not care about returning there, Anilao a definate return after 2 trips, and will probably add Subic Bay to my next Philippine trip after a few days in Anilao. I just don't care to take another flight once I arrive in Manila. In the future probably, I know there is some great diving there and affordable.

Indonesia is a major draw and will be returning to Lembeh to the same resort next year all going well for my third visit, but against my logistcal preferences I will dive Bunaken first having not dived there since 1995, then go to Lembeh, so at least if the dive op I choose at Bunaken is not up to scratch then at least I know I am going to have a great time in Lembeh :D

Other areas of Indonesia are on my list but taking two weeks off is pushing it, timing is everything. I'd need at least a month if going to Rajah Ampat and other remote destinations.

Done a fair bit of diving around Malaysia and still have a few places to discover such as P. Tengol recommended to me by a late member of SB

In summary, a bit of both. Recommendations from friends who have dived at other places where I have not visited plays an important part in my choice when going to new destinations that require long flights to get there.

This is a great question. Sure beats talking about crime rates. We travelled all over the Caribbean for a while. Coz, DR, Cuba... then we got a very cheap vacation to Curacao and have been coming ever since. We looked at new spots this year but were dissuaded from Roatan because of cost and apparent lack of fish. We love it here (I am in Curacao right now). I think its our last trip as our kids are all but gone from the nest and we will be able to travel during school. What a concept :)
We are planning a trip to the Philippines next year.

Debbie and I like to take an annual trek to one of two favorite places (one in Mexico, and one in Hawaii), but we also look for new places that offer new experiences- whether marine life, unique topograpy, unique wrecks or other features, and as a secondary matter, experiencing a new culture and people. Our favorite places are not top 10 destinations, and that is why we like them. We have dove Cozumel on 4 occasions (Debbie 3) and its ok for what it is, but I would not want it to be the only place I ever dove. We like the absence of crowds, and small boats and shore divies on our own.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom