Dive Vacations--Familiarity or Diversity????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a great question and topic, John!

I feel the same tension between returning to someplace I know, and seeing something new. We go back to the Yucatan again and again, but of course, it's because what we have there simply ISN'T anyplace else. And I do enjoy the familiarity of the routine, and knowing how to get everything done -- and also, checking in with friends we have made over the years in that place.

And I enjoyed our trips to Maui, even though we dove the same sites again and again -- one of the great things about diving is that you never know when you are going to turn around and run into something amazing, even at a site where you thought you had seen it all.

But there is also nothing quite like one's first trip to a new place, where every single critter is amazing because you just haven't seen it before. I remember going to Loreto for the first time, and taking tons of photographs of the first incredibly colorful starfish I found . . . and then finding out that they were simply everywhere. A beautiful but very common species!

So we mix it up. We go back to fabulous places sometimes, and we go to new places, too. This year we will had a first time trip to the Philippines, and a first time trip to the Socorros, but we will also have a return trip to the PI and a return trip to the Yucatan. We are lucky to get to travel as much as we do.

What TS and M said. Both.

---------- Post added August 19th, 2014 at 09:39 PM ----------

Really missing the salt water at the moment, on a local 4 day trip diving the St Lawrence. Cold and murky! But bring wet is better than being dry any day

Wut?! Cold and murky? It's 68F in the river, that's warm!

Although I've done a few thousand dives in one location (Catalina) when I travel I look for three things (1) a destination I've never been to so I can collect footage of new species and ecosystems (Egypt and South America are on for 2015); (2) a destination in a region where I want to collect additional footage of the species I've already seen or film a few new ones.

I love knowing one area "well" (after 45 years diving Catalina there is still a lot to learn) but I love the excitement of going to new places as well. I doubt I could ever be satisfied with lots of trips to a specific Caribbean destination (any of them) since biodiversity is so much higher in Asia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom