Dive with Cruise operator vs Local Cozumel Op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If 14 is too many than what exactly is the right number of dive ops to talk with? Some people walk into the first car dealership they see and pay full retail for a car. Others spend six months looking at multiple dealers and trying to get their cost as low as possible. Anyone who has been in business for a while knows this and has already determined which types of customers they want to deal with. I suspect the same is true for most dive ops in Cozumel. If they want his business they will respond. If they don't, they will ignore his email.

Regardless, why attack the guy’s approach to making his purchasing decision. Belittling him isn’t going to change his mind. But it likely means he won’t come back after he has made his purchasing decision and relate his lessons learned. He is currently doing a ton of work and If I didn’t already have a favorite dive op on the island or if he was doing this for a different location I would certainly be interested in hearing all the details.

If 14 is too many than what exactly is the right number of dive ops to talk with? Some people walk into the first car dealership they see and pay full retail for a car. Others spend six months looking at multiple dealers and trying to get their cost as low as possible. Anyone who has been in business for a while knows this and has already determined which types of customers they want to deal with. I suspect the same is true for most dive ops in Cozumel. If they want his business they will respond. If they don't, they will ignore his email.

Regardless, why attack the guy’s approach to making his purchasing decision. Belittling him isn’t going to change his mind. But it likely means he won’t come back after he has made his purchasing decision and relate his lessons learned. He is currently doing a ton of work and If I didn’t already have a favorite dive op on the island or if he was doing this for a different location I would certainly be interested in hearing all the details.

Hey, lets back up a bit here.

I simply made a comment that I was confused why people were advising a guy who is looking to save money by finding a cheaper dive op, to look toward circumstances that normally would increase a divers costs.

So far, most local operators in Cozumel who we've looked up have similar pricing as the ship's, or not much savings under the $89 (all equip included) price.
Also, using the ship's operator, we'll insure that we won't miss our ship departure time , usually not a problem in our previous diving excursions when we booked by ourselves previously, but the savings must be significant to offset that worry.

Why is everybody telling this guy to get his own boat? Unless you can get your own boat for 75% less then a cattle boat the guy ain't in.

The question he is asking is does anybody know a dirt cheap dive op?

West houston diver instead of agreeing comes back with
Mike: I've never said I'm looking for "a dirt cheap dive op" & "a 75% off discount"

I'm just looking for better service at a better price than the cruise ship's inflated $89 price. Not just $5 off, but maybe around $15 - $25 off would make it worthwhile. .

Not dirt cheap? Only wants a 30% discounted price with better service!

So get serious, stop the denial. West Houston Diver wants a dive op that offers superior service at rates 30% below the norm in Cozumel.

I'd like a Porsche for the price of a Honda Civic too. :shakehead:

Sorry if you get offended by a dose of reality being interjected into a guy looking to get a dive op to donate a 6 pack boat for 4 people, deal with his cruise ship schedule which loses them their afternoon dives, deal with junior divers, and do it during their busiest times of the year all for somebody who will do so if he can get them to do all that at a 30% discount.

AND with the guarantee that he will never come back even if they would do all that. :shakehead: I remind you, that he has already demonstrated no loyalty what so ever to a perfectly good dive op he has used before :
We have used Sand Dollar before when we stayed in Cozumel hotel over the years. We were very satisfied w/ their operation.

Yeah, I'm the jerk here. Dive ops in Cozumel don't need to make a profit to stay in business, so that a once every 5 year visitor can come in and shop 14 of them to save himself what amounts to a tank of gas.

The guys a boob, and if you all didn't see it or are so polite to not call it out then I'm not. Stone me for it. This guys in la la land at the expense of hard working dive ops.

Oh and lets not even talk about this -

Carnival is requiring us to pay extra for another separate dive master for our 2 teenage Jr divers (guess it's for their legal reasons) & probably won't let us dive a normal 2 dives & limit them to 40'.

He doesn't want to pay a dime in regard to his jr divers -

Our 2 Jr divers.... once the dive masters see them excel during the check out dives, they usually let them dive with our adult group to the normal 80 - 90' dives thereafter.

What check out dives will there be with somebody in port for 5 hours?

I can just see the outcome of it all too. He will find somebody desperate enough to cowtow to him, try to do their best they can with their little operation and the guy will show up expecting the red carpet, open bar and a massage and when he doesn't get it, he will skewer them on an online review website.

This is how it works - when you have special needs and have superior demands on a business you should expect to pay more, not less for service that will meet your needs.

It blows me away that only a few people here get this. The rest must be cheap ass divers like jr here from houston who expect taking advantage of people isn't a big deal as long as you get what you want out of it. All done under the credo of here is my money... if you want it jump through hoops, beg like a dog, roll over...:shakehead:

My daughter & grandson will be in port for a day there in January. I am such a mother-hen that I am tempted to fly down there and go snorkeling with them, but told them I would check out the details. Probably going to set them up with Blue Angels late, big boat.

They invited me to go on the cruise and I'd like to play safety for all of it, including Progesso - but the few big boat cruises I have been on were the most boring trips of my life. Besides, my grandson was cute as a baby but now as an obnoxious teenager, gawd!

Anyway, Westhouston - if you noticed which boat ops have snorkel tours, I'd like to know which others to consider. I've seen the shore snorkel tours some do there; really bad.

The analysis re buying a manufactured item doesn't work, because your shopping for services, not goods. People would be far smarter to shop for a better mechanic than the cheapest one. Diving is a skill, requires good equipment that should be serviced by qualified people, and you hopefully want a good dive op to take you to the better sites, guide you to the best of what's there etc. You get what you pay for (generally) so it's about shopping for the service level you expect, not the bottom line. If you bought a race car would you prefer to save some money by having it tuned at the local garage or by a mechanic specializing in race cars who has a top notch reputation of producing winners. You can visit the web sites for pricing info, check here for reputation, but if you expect to negotiate prices that's normally done face to face or at least on the phone. Expecting a business to do it by email kind of kills the process since they could be in negotiations with a competitor seeing just how far they'd go to undercut the competition.

If 14 is too many than what exactly is the right number of dive ops to talk with? Some people walk into the first car dealership they see and pay full retail for a car.

Is this what diving has come to in your mind? Haggling over a car?

Do you really want to create that experience for the trade off of the industry ending up like that just so you can save a few bucks?

6a00d834524b6f69e201116898837e970c-800wi

It suspect you'd probably be like me and not find the experience really very satisfactory if dive ops actually took on the negative aspects of the wheeling and dealing that you seem to desire.

I also don't think dive masters, dive boat captains and dive shop owners are getting rich in Cozumel, especially with the current economic conditions they have been faced with over the last few years

Even prior to this recession, dive shop owners don't get into the business because its known to be a cash cow. The old joke of how do you become a millionaire running a dive shop? You start with two million. Pretty much has never changed.

All I'm saying is number 1, Houston diver wants a cheap dive shop. And number 2, on the topic of beating dive shops to death over a few bucks?

Show some dignity. If you can't afford to go on vacation, don't go. Have a little pride and respect for yourself and the dive ops who you end up raving about. Is it really all about a few dollars once you get to Cozumel? Or is it about the fantastic dives, the great service and friendliness you receive from some very hard working people there? When you come back home you want to take great memories of all the fun you had and the great, safe diving experiences you had...do you want the people who you leave back there until your next visit, for their memories of you to be of the "rich" gringos that come down here, expect the perfect vacation, want all this service and satisfaction yet they beat me up over a few bucks? Knowing the first thing they did once they got back home was spend an outrageous $5.00 on a crappy .50 cent cup of coffee at starbucks without a second thought.

Let's all just show a little respect and keep things in perspective is all. I mean, cruise ship passengers have enough bad press, do you really need to keep re-enforcing the stereo type?

Mike, you make a number of very good points. Certainly there is a range of prices in Coz dive ops - from $55-100+. Obviously there is a gradient of quality and service in that continuum. I mostly dive with one of the more expensive (but not THE most expensive op) and have done so for years now. Loyalty has its perks. :^)

If this diver went with the cheapest op on the island, he might save $100 for his entire trip. Saving $100 for a one day trip seems more energy than it is likely worth.

I have a view that if you can't afford to do something, then you shouldn't do it. Everything from the clothes I buy, to the many dog shows I have attended and exhibited at, to scuba.

yeah, I think I'm seeing a pattern here.....:)
Oh good grief!
CHARLIE-Sm.jpg
The boys dive with dad. Don't really need C-cards but he got them pro trained anyway. With that much experience, who are we to tell him how to manage his kids.

He wanted to pay less than the cruise boat charges and get a decent operator; wouldn't we all? He is being prudent, not cheap.

And if he can get enough divers, he can get his own boat. I bet Scuba Mau would take him where he wanted, when he wanted, private boat for 4 even for less than the cruise boat charges.

I didn't get the idea that he wanted a discount from the Op, just to pay less than with the cruise vendors. Did I miss something?

14 emails was a bit much.

...couldn't stop at 13 e-mails, 'cause '13' is an unlucky number.....

Oh good grief!
CHARLIE-Sm.jpg
The boys dive with dad. Don't really need C-cards but he got them pro trained anyway. With that much experience, who are we to tell him how to manage his kids.

He wanted to pay less than the cruise boat charges and get a decent operator; wouldn't we all? He is being prudent, not cheap.

And if he can get enough divers, he can get his own boat. I bet Scuba Mau would take him where he wanted, when he wanted, private boat for 4 even for less than the cruise boat charges.

Don, do we really want to be encouraging the pod people to stray from the reservation anyway? Sometimes a quarantine is a good thing.... didn't Cozumel recently decide to try to reduce diver pressure on the reefs by thinning out the number of dive ops/max # of 'dive' seats hitting the reefs daily ? Human wrecking balls might should be staying on the 'national sacrifice reefs' that are already pretty much totalled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom