Dive-Xtra Piranha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haz shipping is not that much as long as you use an approved carrier. FedEx, DHL, and UPS will ship batteries over 100Wh, USPS will not.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2015 at 02:43 PM ----------

Just an idle question . . . if you can't fly the battery, why optimize the weight by removing the casters from the box? The wheel-less box is a PITA to move around :)

Why optimize? Because we could. Now, when we release a NiMH battery option, it will be able to fly without incurring any excess baggage fees.

Haz shipping is not that much as long as you use an approved carrier. FedEx, DHL, and UPS will ship batteries over 100Wh, USPS will not.

Fair enough. I'm more thinking about the international shipping issues, and the cost of the battery you won't be getting back if some tin-badge mouthbreather in DikTukFuk's customs office decides your papers aren't in order.

Now I'm really interested.
So there will be a P-1 NiMH battery version coming soon?

I am interested in getting another scooter, for my wife to have....it only needs to be a Sierra class scooter.

-Mitch

---------- Post added January 8th, 2015 at 02:43 PM ----------

Why optimize? Because we could. Now, when we release a NiMH battery option, it will be able to fly without incurring any excess baggage fees.

Now I'm really interested.
So there will be a P-1 NiMH battery version coming soon?

I am interested in getting another scooter, for my wife to have....it only needs to be a Sierra class scooter.

-Mitch

Soon is relative. We have the ability to, but there has been 1 person interested. There is not much of a driver for us to make a NiMH Piranha. (You are the second person interested in a NiMH version)

When we were designing the scooter, we asked a lot of people if they traveled with their DPV. Only a handful said yes. That result re-affirmed that we were using the right battery. For travel, most people, ourselves included, would rather not deal with the issue of checking a scooter and just rent one at our destination. I traveled internationally with my scooter once and I will never do it again. It's just too much work and the issues with customs are outrageous.

I have no intention to travel with mine.
My interest in a short/NiMH scooter would be just for my wife to use on shallow, single tank dives.
I have no need for a more expensive scooter for that usage.

She is good to go with the Cuda 400; but she has expressed an interest in having something smaller...easier to steer.
She's a small sized diver, when she saw the pictures of the P-1 on FB...she thought it was the coolest thing.

I realize lithium batteries are the way forward. But I already have a few NiMH Cudas. :wink:
BTW...one of my buddies JUST missed out on one of your closeout Cuda 650s....he was sooo bummed about it.

Perhaps I'll pick up a Sierra (refurbished or used) later this year; around summer time.

Cheers,
Mitch

During my 3 day Piranha-fest in Southern California, we all looked at one another and said, "If you want to sell a Sierra, do it NOW, because once these things come out, Sierras will be a drug on the market."

Would a NiMH battery reduce the price at all?

It'd have to - replacement LiIon batteries for more powerful scooters are something like 2/3 the total cost of a new DPV.

It'd have to - replacement LiIon batteries for more powerful scooters are something like 2/3 the total cost of a new DPV.

They're also considerably smaller, right?
So you're either going to lose runtime if the NiMH battery is approximately the same size as the LiIon or you're going to to have a much larger/heavier battery to get the equivalent runtime of the LiIon.

They're also considerably smaller, right?
So you're either going to lose runtime if the NiMH battery is approximately the same size as the LiIon or you're going to to have a much larger/heavier battery to get the equivalent runtime of the LiIon.

Correct.

Edit: There are other drawbacks as well. Nickel packs often go quickly and/or with little warning. Nickel chemistries seem to be more delicate in terms of storage and charging habits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom