Dive-Xtra Piranha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any updates on the 'new' design motor? Are they shipping?

Any updates on the 'new' design motor? Are they shipping?

So what changes have been made to the motor?

Is there any footage of these underwater?

What attitude does a P1 assume when 'hanging' in fresh water? Salt? Just wondering how easy it would be to tow a P1 considering the body is so short.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2015 at 08:11 PM ----------

Also, relative to other brands, how loud is the P-series in the water?

I was wondering how the battreys connect to each other. To me it seems like they would have problems with seals because they stack. Instead of 1 seal to worry about you can have 2 or 3. If 1 stack shorts out what happens?

batteries connect via anderson connectors. If one of the cases leaks the whole thing will leak. Double o-rings with proper maintenance aren't liable to leak though..

batteries connect via anderson connectors. If one of the cases leaks the whole thing will leak. Double o-rings with proper maintenance aren't liable to leak though..

The key word proper maintenance. Not everyone does that or they miss the hair on the seal then supprise you got a leak. See the way I look at it is they stack which means more seals. Put 2 batterys on you have the motor seal the extra battery seal then if you put 3 on you have another seal. The more there are the more chance of something going wrong. Hey you never know. I would be instreasted if anyone had a video of putting it together or taking it apart so you can see how it goes together.

When we were developing the Piranha, we came to the conclusion that risking flooding with multiple sealing surfaces was worth it for the modularity. We're using the same sealing surface as the Cuda, our most proven sealing surface. When you compare the amount of sealing surfaces on the Piranha to a Cuda or Sierra, then yes, there are a lot of potential leak points. However if you compare the potential leak points on a Piranha to any Suex, there are so few it doesn't matter. For example, an XJOY 14 has 6 potential leak points; 2 around the nose, 1 at the base of the body, 1 for the trigger, 1 for the prop shaft, 1 for the on/off switch, and 1 for the speed control. Add two more if you add the optional bypass and battery light. A Piranha P1 (comparable burntime, speed, torque) has 3; nose, body, shaft seal. If you want to go with our P3 you now have 5 leak points compared to Suex XK1 which has 7 or maybe 8.

We've also done flood testing in fresh and salt water. Flooded the body, motor, and battery compartments before we started the dive and then did a tech dive. One dive was on the PB4Y in Lake Washington, the other was a line run at Seattle's Alki Cove2. Each time the only difference we could tell was that the scooter no longer neutral and very heavy getting out of the water. Everything was fine. Nice safe dive. We dried off the components, charged the batteries, did a burn test. Same capacity as before. We're still using the flooded motor on one of our test units.

If you're in BC, haha49, I'm sure we can figure out a way to get you in the water with one and you can see how easy it is to put together and how fun it is to dive :)

Since the batteries are Lithium Ion I'm wondering what them life expectancy is on them.
I've owned a lot of electronic devices that use Li-Ion and have noticed when they go, they go fast. Some last a year, some more.
Given the price of the battery seems to be about half the cost of the scooter I don't want have to buy a new one a year later.
I've had NIMH scooter batteries last at least several years.
Is there an estimate life on these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom