Divemaster watermanship skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dandrian:
As Bailey said for PADI to receive the full 5 points in the treading water you have to do the last two minutes of the treading with your arms above your head and they cannot touch the water.

No, Bailey said hands out of the water not arms above head.

PADI standards say hands have to be out of the water not arms for the two minutes.

I recall the tread water with hands above head for last 2 minutes was challenging for most. Especially folks who are had single digit % body fat :wink:

The standards do not require you do do them all at the same time. Getting DM takes a while, and you can do them one at a time over that time period.

I have never been a really fast surface swimmer, partially because of my body density (major sinker) and partially because I do not do the crawl as efficiently as a more skilled swimmer will--my butt and legs drag, so I am swimming uphill all the time.

The snorkel swim was no problem, so I got a good score on my first attempt. I maxed the tread with no trouble, even though treading is not a sinker's best suit.

That doesn't leave a lot of points to go.

I kept working on my time in the surface swim, and when I got 3 points, I was pretty much there. All I had to do was complete the tow, no matter what the time. I therefore did the tow without any concerns, hauling a buddy into stiff wind and waves off Key Largo. We just estimated the distance. My time was pretty ugly, as you might guess, but it didn't matter.

I could have reversed the last two steps and made my life easier. If I had done the tired diver tow in calm waters (or a pool) with an actual measured distance, I could have gotten a good score easily. Thus, my worst area, the surface swim, would have been a no-pressure lark.

On the other hand, hauling my buddy into those waves taught me an important lesson. That is something that I might conceivably have to do in a rescue scenario, and it is good to be able to do that well.

Back
Top Bottom