Divemaster worth it if not going to work in industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually was paid to do a Discover Scuba class. And declared it as income.

Wow! Theres another thread going on instructor pay and it included some DM pay stuff. I had no idea that DMs were actually getting paid real money in some places. Still, not in my neck of the woods.

Personally I think it comes down to what you want to get out of it and the relative costs. Obviously you are not interested in working, but I think its fair to say that a significant proportion of candidates that enroll in the DM programme are in the same position.

Many travellers on gap years and career breaks use the course as a way to get in a bunch of cheap dives, and also as way of adding an additional professional accreditation for their resume that shows that even if they did take some time of to travel/'find themselves'/whatever, they weren't just being a beach bum. The other advantage of the DM is that you learn a lot more about diving science and theory, increase your own personal skill level, and generally become a safer and much more aware diver (although to be fair I'd say the rescue course also does the latter better than any other course on the market).

So how much does that set of benefits matter to you? If the answer is not greatly, then it comes down to cost. Since you mentioned Thailand, I'l break it down for you in terms of what your money would get you here (we're based on Koh Tao in the Gulf). The DM course with us costs 30,000THB, plus 6,000THB for your materials. For this you get all of your training, workshops, assists etc and unlimited fun diving for the duration of the course. The same money used towards fun dives would get you somewhere between 40-50 dives depending on the dive sites. Most of our DM candidates stay for 6weeks - 12 weeks. Lets say on average they do a 2 dive trip 5 days a week (taking into account illness, injury, down time, visa trips etc) either as fun dives or part of their DM. Thats between 60 and 120 dives they are getting for the same price as 40-50 fun dives, plus the certification at the end. So from a financial point of view, there's no denying it is good value.

Before you make your decision, bear in mind that the DM is not all about fun diving though - although in most programmes it's arranged so that you get a fair amount of that too. A significant proportion of the course is dedicated to a combination of academic learning, skills training, assisting and workshops. So it really comes down to what your priorities are - ie whether you are willing to compromise on sacrificing some of your fun diving to complete these aspects of the course in order to get an overall better value deal.

Good luck in your decision. And happpy diving :)

My experience with acquiring my DM from PADI was due to an assumption that a dive shop I had a relationship with might offer an opportunity in the future that would let me teach (DM being the first step on becoming an Instructor). That didn't work out, but I will admit that going through DM training did give me a much deeper appreciation and understanding of diving, and for that, I am grateful. I think it made me a better diver, beyond the skills I picked up in both AOW and Rescue. My DM didn't cost anywhere close to $2800, as it was acquired locally; but I think the experience goes well beyond the cost.

In the case of the OP, not sure what I did compares to their plans, but I feel like the investment I made advanced me, and allows me to dive in a more responsible manner, especially with respect to the actions of the other divers around me. I no longer plan to pursue the opportunity to teach professionally, but I feel that our actions while we dive can be lessons that other divers can learn from.

If you don't want to work in the industry then I'd say 'no'.

But.

Sounds like you just wanna go have some fun for a bit. Therefore go for it.

If you want the knowledge and the diving to go with it, I'd see if there was a NAUI agency available. The MSD is a decent rating with all the components of the DM without the "shop" side. It all boils down to the quality of the instructor, and your desire to complete it at the highest level.

AOW and rescue should be absolute minimums. Honestly, if you have the $$ and the time, right now, just go diving. The experiences mean a bunch too.

Have fun!

In my OPINION:

If you really want to get the max out of the hobby, yes. The divemaster course gives you a solid understanding of all aspects of diving and the required skills make you a much better diver.

If you just want to poke around the coral and take pictures, no.

Safe dives . . . . . . .
Safer ascents . . . . .

the K

To disagree a little with JIM, I want to tell Salt that my DM training improved my diving a lot. One of the requirements was to master all skills at a demonstration quality level, and that challenged me a bunch to hone those skills, including buoyancy and navigation, until I was at a level to show others how to "do it correctly." That said, not all DM courses may require the same. AND there is a lot to the DM training that is "dry," not related to actually being in the water. With Jim, I recommend you take a good AOW course and a good rescue course, both pre-requisites to DM.
DivemasterDennis

Doing NAUI Intro to Tech and Helitrox was much more demanding skills wise than DM. DM can be good for skills if you have an instructor that teaches demo quality skills as they should be done. Like in the 5thdx videos on you tube. Not like some of the ridiculous Marcel Marceau style stuff that is highly exaggerated and makes the skill look harder than it is.
Based on my own experience I would have been much better off doing a couple tech classes before DM. That's what I advise anyone going the DM route now. Both from a skills and knowledge angle you'll be much better off.

I have my open water certification with 30+ dives. Just quit my corporate job and have some free time on my hands. Was considering going for my dive master certification somewhere warm. Looked like about 8 week investment and around $2800. Might be doable. But I don't really need the certification and I don't really plan on working in the industry. I just want to do a bunch of diving and keep my costs down. Is it worth it? Or am I better off just going somewhere cheap like Utilla or Thailand for a month?

If you are not going to work in the industry, it is an unnecessary expense rather than an investment.

I would, as others have suggested, put the cash towards becoming a better diver (AOW, nitrox Rescue,Deep, or NAUI MSD) and getting in as many dives as you can.

Of course you could take up Goodtime Adventures up on his offer and come back here later and share.

It's your life, have a good time.

Bob
------------------------------------
I honestly feel I'm a better diver now. I learned to respect the ocean the hard way. One swallow at a time. Mark Derail

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom