Diver accident in Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PRL:
I wasn't trying to nitpick (sorry if it seemed that way) just wanted to point out to an SB user claiming that 30 seconds was to long to surface from over 70 ft, that he misunderstood the sentance.

True, but if there is anything here to criticize (and I most certainly am not), it is that a 30 second (or less) ascent from 70 ft increased the risk that there would be two victims rather than one. To say that the ascent should have been done in 10 seconds because it has been done safely before is ludicrous.

PRL:
I agree 100%, just got a little steamed when I saw someone critsizing a SUCCESFUL rescue.

This was precisely the reason for my earlier post. Talk of professional rescuers rocketing a victim to the surface so fast that their "fins cleared the water", whether exaggerated or ripped from the headlines, should be left in the "folks, do not try this at home" catagory. As a rescuer with a support crew on the boat, would you rather have one drowning victim to administer BLS to, or a drowning victim with a lung overexpansion and a second victim (yourself) with a lung overexpansion? I would much rather be the primary rescuer than the second victim.

PRL:
I don't agree 100% on this one. You will do more harm if you become a victim yourself. (but i do agree with the general idea of that statement)
'

See above.

P.S., PRL, I intend this response to be very much in agreement with what you said, not in contradiction. If I come across harsh, I apologize, but a previous post has really got me set off here, for much the same reasons as you cited in your post.

This was precisely the reason for my earlier post. Talk of professional rescuers rocketing a victim to the surface so fast that their "fins cleared the water", whether exaggerated or ripped from the headlines, should be left in the "folks, do not try this at home" catagory. As a rescuer with a support crew on the boat, would you rather have one drowning victim to administer BLS to, or a drowning victim with a lung overexpansion and a second victim (yourself) with a lung overexpansion? I would much rather be the primary rescuer than the second victim.
Less any of this may drift so much that a reader might think anyone is second guessing Bob, I think it is unanamous here that he did a wonderful rescue and Maggi is alive only becuase he did. :medal: And I really hope that Bob accepts that he was indeed heroic in his accomplishments! He seems like a pretty sensitive and loving husband, and I am so happy that we're not here trying to tell him that he tried and it's not his failing that Maggi didn't make it. She did, and Bob's efficient rescue is why.

The poster who suggested that the ascent could be done is 10 sec with fins clearing the water did suggest a bad idea on a good thread, but I think we have rejected that here. Maggi's lungs were not at risk - no air in them, and Bob handled his well.

DandyDon:
Less any of this may drift so much that a reader might think anyone is second guessing Bob, I think it is unanamous here that he did a wonderful rescue and Maggi is alive only becuase he did. :medal: And I really hope that Bob accepts that he was indeed heroic in his accomplishments! He seems like a pretty sensitive and loving husband, and I am so happy that we're not here trying to tell him that he tried and it's not his failing that Maggi didn't make it. She did, and Bob's efficient rescue is why.

The poster who suggested that the ascent could be done is 10 sec with fins clearing the water did suggest a bad idea on a good thread, but I think we have rejected that here. Maggi's lungs were not at risk - no air in them, and Bob handled his well.

Well said, Don!

For everyone following this thread, there is some excellent news that I just have to pass on. Maggi's ventilator was removed today and she was able to talk for the first time. Her voice is very weak and hard to understand but she knew her name and her address! She doesn't remember the trip at all which was to be expected - in fact she was quite suprised to hear where she was and wanted to know how she got here considering we live almost 400 miles away. So far all we have told her is that she was in a diving accident, the details can come later once she is stronger.
If she does well overnight she will be transferred from ICU to Recovery for therapy and hopefully home soon!
Thanks for everyones best wishes, prayers and comments. I think she will get a kick reading all this later. She found it hard to believe me when I told here she was getting best wishes from all over the world!

Bob :D

Thats fantastic!!!

Congrats to you and Maggi. How wonderful.

bobmaggi:
. She found it hard to believe me when I told here she was getting best wishes from all over the world!

Best wishes from Saipan, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, USA.

God bless you and Maggi

Thanks for everyones best wishes, prayers and comments. I think she will get a kick reading all this later. She found it hard to believe me when I told here she was getting best wishes from all over the world!
Super news!! Thanks for sharing it with us. You both have our very best wishes!!
:wave-smil​

Great to hear the good news Bob, all the best to Maggie.

bobmaggi:
For everyone following this thread, there is some excellent news that I just have to pass on. Maggi's ventilator was removed today and she was able to talk for the first time. Her voice is very weak and hard to understand but she knew her name and her address! She doesn't remember the trip at all which was to be expected - in fact she was quite suprised to hear where she was and wanted to know how she got here considering we live almost 400 miles away. So far all we have told her is that she was in a diving accident, the details can come later once she is stronger.
If she does well overnight she will be transferred from ICU to Recovery for therapy and hopefully home soon!

Best Wishes to you and Maggi. Thanks for the updates,
Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom