Diver accident in Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
Mods, you can delete this question if it's deemed indelicate. I'm a bit confused on what the exact injuries are? I know she went for a chamber ride but that didn't seem to be an issue, or the main problem. Was it lung expansion? Can that heal so a person can dive again?

You can PM me if it's something not to be discussed at the present time. Sorry if it's been answered and I missed it.

My heartfelt wishes to you and your wife. Soon she will be home and healthy as new. Blessings.

I'm Not in medical field so don't hold me to what I wrote below.
Chamber rides are becoming more and more popular with patients even if they have no pressure related injuries. A lung damaged by water flooding very often is unable to absorb enough oxygen to sustain life. A chamber ride will supersaturate the body with O2 the same way we absorb N2 when diving, and that will compensate for the lung deficiencies, and supply the needed O2 to prevent brain damage.
I think (maby got it wrong) that I have read somewere that very often a stroke victim shows impressive improvement after a chamber ride.
I think that in Maggies case the doctors might have been worried about low O2 in the body and pernament brain damage.
But like I said, don't hold me to it. My statement is speculative at best.

Over expension injuries will usually heal, but will leave a scar. Depending on how big the scar, and where it is the diver might or might not dive again.

catherine96821:
1) The guys idea about "gag/choke/vomit 101" is actually a useful concept. I think Instructors should discuss this when they do the free flow regulator exercise. If students spend time on this one, they will invariably sputter a little and probably fine-tune their airway control, when trying to breathe in the presence of water. Passing a reg back and forth, though not taught for PADI OW, is a very useful skill to master optimal airway control.

Although not necessarily pertinent to this thread, since we don't know exactly why she was rejecting the reg, I agree with this statement. This is just one more very good reason why buddy breathing should be taught at the OW level.

Best wishes to you and your wife, Bob, and we pray for her continued recovery. As a professional firefighter for almost 20 years, I know the stresses involved, but can only imagine the degree to which it escalates when it's someone you love. You've done yourself proud, you're a credit to our pasttime. God Bless.

Get well real soon!!!!...you forgot to mention her name Bob, it's more personal when people mention her name when they ask HIM for comfort and help. But I guess HE already knows who we are praying for.

happy birthday, bob, and continue to give our best to maggi!

Bob,
Happy Birthday. Glad to hear Maggie is doing so much better. Again, thanks for taking the time to keep us updated during this very difficult period. Our prayers are with you both

Ken

nauidiver2004:
Bob,
Happy Birthday. Glad to hear Maggie is doing so much better. Again, thanks for taking the time to keep us updated during this very difficult period. Our prayers are with you both

Ken
DITTO
Chris

I dived with a friend's OW class over the weekend to take pics, and she complained that the second stage mouthpiece scared her, as she feared that she was going to lose it and her contacts at the same time during the mask clearing she was finding so difficult.

I'd already sent her a link to this thread, and it came up during our discussions. I've had my butterfly mouthpiece so long, I don't well remember - but I think I used to lose my reg at times, just never had a problem. My friend tried my BF, but could not get it in her mouth. I suppose it can be trimmed to fit, but she's going to look into other fitted mouthpieces.

Maggi was released from the hospital on Sunday and is home again. She is still very weak but is able to get up and around by herself. Her memory is good, she just doesn't remember anything for the 3 days preceeding the accident. The doctors say that based on the rapid recovery they believe that her blood oxygen level never dropped to critical levels, her brain cells were O2 starved but didn't get to the point where they started dying off wholesale. So the overall effect now is the same as a severe concussion without the headache. We are going to look into some physical therapy to help her regain her wind and strength next.

Now we venture into the next chapter of this saga, paying for the accident. Luckily I have pretty good health insurance and also we both have DAN preferred insurance. It will be interesting to see how much this ordeal ends up costing and how much comes out-of-pocket. Either way it doesn't matter, I've got her back!

Thanks to everyone for their comments, prayers and wishes. She has enjoyed reading this thread and hearing from so many people. She has decided that she is not going to return to cold water diving and will stick strictly to the warm waters from now on for diving. I whole-heartedly agreed with her on this decision!

Bob

More good news! Sounds like Maggi has some work ahead of her but nothing she can't handle. Take good care of her. And yourself! Enjoy your time together.

Paula

Wonderful news Bob, thanks for letting us know!!

And the best to you Maggi!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom