Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes the DM knew he had just gotten his c card and he admitted that he didn't keep track of his diver's and he knew he was missing but decided to continue the dive anyway.

True to do the AOW you only have to dive to 100ft however I was going to do my AOW with this shop and they were going to have me dive to 130ft.

Interesting. By PADI standards (and they were PADI correct?) the maximum depth of AOW must not exceed 100ft. I had a buddy who had a student panic on him during the deep dive of the AOW course. The student bolted for the surface taking the DM with him, nobody was hurt but precautions were taken for DCS anyway and an incident report was written up. The end of it all, my buddy got a stern talking to from PADI because he had exceeded the depth limit for the course. His computer read 101ft.

The DD guys do sound a little sketchy.

Once I can release all the details I will with everyones names. But this just happened last Sunday. His autopsy was today and his fiance' called me with the results. So PADI is doing their own investigation and so is the Cayman Police. I just want people to realize that this has been going on in the Cayman's for over a year now that they are ignoring laws and diver's are dying and the dive shops don't care because of the money.

Criminal Negligence for not having two crew members on the boat as Cayman law states.

As a student not yet certified (end of this month I hope), I bring no expertise. However, I've gone on dive boats to snorkel and watched how they operate. Safe to say, after what I've read, I won't go on Divers Down boats. If nothing else, they seem blase or worse.

Of course, we are all responsible for our own safety in all things. But, we hope to be hiring professionals. We need to bolt when the behaviour is otherwise.

As a teacher of other things, I feel responsibility far beyond my legal liabilities. That's pretty basic.

What are they charged with?

IF they were found to be breaking Cayman laws regarding safety issues, they could be charged with negligent homicide.

I am by no means an insider on the case, so don't take this as straight facts.

Yes it was PADI now I could be wrong but I thought she told me I was going to 130ft. So if you know more than me you could be right. I did not take the course because this all happened and I took care of my friend and we were in police interviews all week. So I guess I am wrong on that part I am sorry about that.

Apparently in the UK and that is what Cayman operates under it is VERY difficult to prove intent and that is what we are up against.

Bryan, just make sure they brief you, you know where the first aid kit is and it contains everything you need to save someone, 100% o2, AED,Ambu,etc. you know the call signal if you have to use the radio, they have two crew members on the boat, at least one in the water with you and one on the boat in case someone needs to come up and needs help. And for god's sake don't go to Diver's Down in Cayman. And Buddy up!!

I just want people to realize that this has been going on in the Cayman's for over a year now that they are ignoring laws and diver's are dying and the dive shops don't care because of the money.
Is there evidence to support this general statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom