Diver Newbie - Looking for diver certification ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes...the apple doesn't far fall from the tree sometimes. My son, who really has been into marine biology since about the age of 5, is already thinking of going to University of Miami, so he can double major in marine studies and jazz performance. At that point, I can only imagine him working on a cruise ship ;-)

Wow! Your girl started diving when she was 8? In all seriousness...given the attention factors that one must pay when diving, how does an 8 year old do it, and how did you keep from freaking out for her safety? I want to get my twin son and daughter into it. My son is the only one with interest, and he's 12. He's comfortable in the water, though not a great lap swimmer. But he's also a scatter-brain. Do kids just deal with things more easily?

Welcome to SB Dutchie. I joined this month myself.

Mandarin, I have a 12 year old who will have his rescue diver certification in March. He loves to dive, but he doesn't like to study. So we spend lots of time in the pool working on emergency procedures and bouyancy skills. Of course its not like the training programs are that difficult from a classroom perspective. Anyway I now feel very comfortable that my son won't panic or do the wrong thing in the midst of an emergency.

Hi Dutchie, and yes this is a great resource here! (I just found out this week)
Well you have plenty of time to book a trip so take your time choosing and it all depends on what tempature you want the water to be and if you want salt in it or not, lol.
SSI has Scuba Rangers? You just saved me having to post a question! My son is 9 and he wants to dive bad, trouble is he's still learning to swim! I do want to get him and his younger sis snorkelling good before they progess to diving. I will bet most of the equipment weights way more than he does right now. I took lessons at 13, I did it way back when and I pretty much forced the LDS to get me thru it. Way back then it was considered too young but I handled the diving fine it was just the Navy tables that I had trouble with, LOL

Welcome to SB Dutchie. I joined this month myself.

Mandarin, I have a 12 year old who will have his rescue diver certification in March. He loves to dive, but he doesn't like to study. So we spend lots of time in the pool working on emergency procedures and buoyancy skills. Of course its not like the training programs are that difficult from a classroom perspective. Anyway I now feel very comfortable that my son won't panic or do the wrong thing in the midst of an emergency.

What agency allows for rescue diver certification at age 12?

I know that NAUI is age 15 for rescue diver.

Then again NAUI just lowered the JR. Open Water to age 10 which I think is a mistake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom