Diver with Glasses

What do you wear underwater if you need glasses?

• Prescriptive Lenses

Votes: 47 52.2%
  • Contacts

Votes: 43 47.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ain't stickin' anything to my eyeballs for any reason!
E. itajara

I have RX lenses in my mask. Unfortunately I have too bad of astigmatism correction to get contact lenses. I had my mask custom made and I love it. My vision is crystal clear underwater and I think I would lose too much with the contacts.

jiveturkey once bubbled...
I usually wear contacts on land so if I use a prescription mask, I still have to bring saline and stuff. I haven't had any problems with contacts. I have no reason to switch to a pres. mask.

I'm just the opposite. When I needed vision correction 40 years ago, contacts couldn't handle the astigmatism and I've worn glasses ever since. So the natural thing for me is a prescription mask. I have met a lot of divers that do well with contacts, so clearly for most people its just a matter of doing underwater what they are comfortable with on land.

The only time a prescription mask was a hinderance was one time when I walked back to the swim platform while still wearing my sunglasses. I tucked them into my front zip shorty, did the dive, then upon returning to the boat, handed my mask to my buddy at the safety stop, put on my sunglasses and swam up to the ladder as if that's how I did the dive. :D That had the boat crew totally fooled until my buddy came up with my mask in hand

Charlie99 once bubbled...
...I tucked them into my front zip shorty, did the dive, then upon returning to the boat, handed my mask to my buddy at the safety stop, put on my sunglasses and swam up to the ladder as if that's how I did the dive. :D That had the boat crew totally fooled until my buddy came up with my mask in hand

I've done that with my regular glasses!

I've tried contacts several times and just don't like them, on land or in the water. I've worn glasses so long it's just not that big of a deal.

Use to wear contacts for 15 yrs or so. Wearing glasses while training and competing event/dressage horses was a complete pain in the a**. Water skiing even worse, kept losing my contacts or had to get up completely blind.

Finally got smart and had the LASIK procedure done now I have 20/10 vision and zero problems. A friend of mine who wore glasses (used prescription lenses in his mask) got tired of having to change the prescription all the time and had it done as well, he's now 20/15.

Sorry if this sounds like an advertisement but it is truly life altering event when you have it done. The best part is that the procedure is getting a little more affordable.

P.S. If you have it done check the references of the operation doing it.

Always good to hear. :D
I am considering Lasik myself.
My eye Dr says it will cost me about $3500. Was that your experience?

I wear disposable contacts. Never had a problem with them. And if I do I always have extra on hand.

:blfish:

plsdiver4377 once bubbled...

Finally got smart and had the LASIK procedure done now I have 20/10 vision and zero problems. A friend of mine who wore glasses (used prescription lenses in his mask) got tired of having to change the prescription all the time and had it done as well, he's now 20/15.
P.S. If you have it done check the references of the operation doing it.

I wear glasses and have presrciption lenses in my mask. I've considered Lazik, but still a little too $$ for me as well as the possible long term effects (it hasn't been THAT long since they started doing them). Just the idea that it might affect my night vision will keep me away for a whille yet.

Back
Top Bottom