Diver with Glasses

What do you wear underwater if you need glasses?

• Prescriptive Lenses

Votes: 47 52.2%
  • Contacts

Votes: 43 47.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am very near-sighted. I only wear glasses when I drive, go to the movies or am at a sporting event. (your so vain) When I dive I have no correction, but can see really good underwater.
I'd love to have the Lasik done, but it's still pricey & I'm concerned about complications, as well.

SueMermaid once bubbled...
Always good to hear. :D
I am considering Lasik myself.
My eye Dr says it will cost me about $3500. Was that your experience?

When I had mine done it was $4600:eek: (everybody paid this amount), but my brother had it done last year and TLC has changed their pricing to reflect differences in prescriptions. His cost was $3200. :wink: If you pass the screening get it done, you wont regret it.:mean:

Groundhog246 once bubbled...

I wear glasses and have presrciption lenses in my mask. I've considered Lazik, but still a little too $$ for me as well as the possible long term effects (it hasn't been THAT long since they started doing them). Just the idea that it might affect my night vision will keep me away for a whille yet.

The only night vision effect that I or anybody I know who's had it done (11 people) is 'halos' or 'starbursts'. This effect is minimal and usually only affects people who have really large pupils like I have (approximately 7mm, which is as large as TLC can do in the US), I don't even pay any attention to it anymore. Most people have the exact same effect wearing contacts (I did).

Kat once bubbled...
I am very near-sighted. I only wear glasses when I drive, go to the movies or am at a sporting event. (your so vain) When I dive I have no correction, but can see really good underwater.
I'd love to have the Lasik done, but it's still pricey & I'm concerned about complications, as well.

Personally I haven't heard of anybody having problems that had it done at TLC. They are extremely cautious in the testing they do prior to the procedure. The day I was there they turned away 2 people for various reasons. The surgeon who did mine was one of the first to have done, about 15 yrs ago if I recall. The most amazing thing to me was being able to see the leaves on trees from more than 5 feet away, let alone being able to see the Cape Lookout Lighthouse from 22 miles out in cloudy weather.:)

Wore contacts to dive up until I got to the "bifocal stage" at which time I switched to a prescription dive mask.

No problem, mon!

~Submariner~

DameDykker - I have some friends that sound like they have the same problem as you and they do indeed wear their masks until they get off the boat. It is kind of scary the first time you see their face underwater - you think they are freaking out!! Anyone remember Mr Magoo?!

Jonathan

not sure if i can get astig contacts and what the costs are.
Sure you can! They also have bifocal contact lenses- my mom wears them (she also has an astig). The ones I am familiar with are hard contacts (rigid gas permeable lenses-very comfortable for many) but perhaps are avail in soft as well. Costs vary greatly as some contact lenses come with many options.

I would love to get lasik but my vision is still changing- no guarantees it wouldn't keep getting worse if I had surgery :( . Oh well...

had lasik 3 years ago. no more glasses/contacts. before that i had prescription lenses. always hated that i could not see until i put my mask on or after i took it off until i could put my glasses back on.

How long after LASIC is reccomended before you can go back into the water?

Hours, days, weeks?
I've been thinking about it lately. It would be very strange to wake up and be able to see as I've been wearing glasses for about 25 years.

Oh yeah, I have a matching set of 2 perscription masks...

dc4bs once bubbled...
How long after LASIC is reccomended before you can go back into the water?

Hours, days, weeks?
I've been thinking about it lately. It would be very strange to wake up and be able to see as I've been wearing glasses for about 25 years.

Oh yeah, I have a matching set of 2 perscription masks...

I was told to avoid water for 5-7days (infection) although my I doctor as well as the surgeon said that after 2-3 days infection was highly unlikely.

I went water skiing 9 days after the surgery and crashed crossing the wake on a slolam ski at 40+ mph and hit the water with my eyes open :eek: (not intentionally) with absolutely no ill effect. The best part was I didn't lose my contacts:wink: . I was told the flap is virtually impossible to move after 3 days without mechanical intervention. :)

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom