Divers and Pilots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heard on radio, late night into Orlando

"Tampa Tower, Heavy XYZ requesting landing clearance"

"Heavy XYZ, this is Orlando Tower. I can't clear you to land in Tampa."

pause

"Orlando Tower, this is painful. Request landing clearance for Orlando International"

"Heavy XYZ, you're clear to land runway xyz. we have free maps up here in the tower"

I had no idea there were so many pilots, and this has only been up 12 hours... geez! keep them coming everybody.

What got me thinking was the fact that 3 of my dive buddies are all pilots and the 4th (my girlfriend is a space fanatic). Aparently there are real parallels to flying.

As far as skydiving, I did one jump the day before i started my openwater class. I will be back to that skydiving business right after i get all my diving worked out. And as far as the perfectly good airplane, well, i haven't seen one in 6 years in the business so i am more than happy to jump out.

Private pilot, multi engine, insterment aircraft. I have about 600 hours pilot time. Have done aerobatics, flowen to Canada and accross France.

I love it, but current priorities have kept me grounded for the last 5 years.

Markdone:
Naval Aviator

thats something like a pilot isn't it?:huh:

Ok I'll stop kidding:D

Frank,

I can sit on my front porch and watch the skydivers at Sebastian all day every weekend.

My favorite ATC exchange: (from back in the day when these two airlines were operating)

Eastern Flight 123: "Jax center Eastern flight 123 request clearance for approach into Jacksonville"

Jax Center: "Eastern 123, Jacksonville ILS is below minimums due to heavy fog, what is your alternate?"

Eastern 123: "Roger Jax Center, alternate is Daytona."

Jax Center: "Eastern 123, cleared to Daytona via Victor 3, contact Daytona approach, frequency 123.45."

Eastern 123: "124.45 have a good morning."

about 5 minutes later:

National flight 456: "Jax center, National flight 456 request clearance for approach into Jacksonville"

Jax Center: "National 456, Jacksonville ILS is below minimums due to heavy fog, what is your alternate?"

National 456: "Jax Center, it's clear here at the paper mill."

Jax Center: "Roger National 456, you are cleared to land at the paper mill."

What a nice thread-- I'm presently a student too, PP SEL, about 2/3 finished (have soloed and am working on the cross-country flights). I think flying is the most fun thing ever, even better than diving although that may be heresy to say on this board. I have been able to justify a lot of expenses (including the purchase of a lot of dive gear) just by translating everything back into the relative cost of air hours. i.e. that bp/w really isn't so bad, that's only 3 hours in the cockpit, etc.

So, is there a pilot board anywhere on the internet like SB?

As far as skydiving:
I used to say the only airplane I would jump out of was one that was on fire, but a recent incident got me thinking. A friend of mine was hauling an external load of plywood with a 206, and the exhaust (they think) caught the load on fire. Fire engulfed the cabin and apparently the windows let go. He slammed it onto a sandbar, ran it off the end into the water and rolled out. Burnt the crap out of him, but he lived. Maybe I wouldn't even jump out of a burning plane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom