Diving after a brain bleed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I am new to this site, and have a serious question that hopefully someone can answer or lead me in the right direction. Back of July 26th 2020, I was involved in a near fatal motorcycle accident on the freeway where I was struck by two vehicles (wasn't my fault and they left the scene.). I was immediately transported via ambulance to the local Trauma Center. I had several broken ribs, two broken bones in my pelvis, a double fracture of my right collarbone, two large burn wounds in my right foot, and a traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage. I really wasn't aware of anything for about 7 days. After two weeks when I was being transferred to a local Rehab Center at another hospital, doctors at the Trauma Center told me that it was really touch and go whether I was gonna survive the accident for the first 5 days I was in the Trauma Center. The told me that they had scheduled surgery to release the pressure on my brain caused by the hemorrhage, and about an hour prior to the surgery, the hemorrhage started to resolve on its own. Here I am seven months later, doing very well with several scars, two surgeries to repair my foot, one surgery to remove a large hematoma from my hip, but otherwise completely healthy. I work out at the gym 6 days a week, and have had no ill effects from the hemorrhage. Still have some pain I am dealing with in my right shoulder due to the fracture to my collarbone, but have learned to work thru it.. My question is, because of the traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage, is it still safe for me to scuba dive? Thanks in advance for any and all input.

I would suggest that you join Divers Alert Network (Membership & Insurance - Divers Alert Network) but even not as a member, they can probably give you referrals (Medical Services - Divers Alert Network) to local doctors that are specifically familiar with diving physiology and able to evaluate your case in that regard.

@Duke Dive Medicine may also be able to shed some generic light on your situation
Thank you, a few years ago I had to get a local doctor who is a diver to sign off (I have asthma) before I could go and get my certification. Hopefully I still have his number somewhere. Appreciate the advice.

Hello, I am new to this site, and have a serious question that hopefully someone can answer or lead me in the right direction. Back of July 26th 2020, I was involved in a near fatal motorcycle accident on the freeway where I was struck by two vehicles (wasn't my fault and they left the scene.). I was immediately transported via ambulance to the local Trauma Center. I had several broken ribs, two broken bones in my pelvis, a double fracture of my right collarbone, two large burn wounds in my right foot, and a traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage. I really wasn't aware of anything for about 7 days. After two weeks when I was being transferred to a local Rehab Center at another hospital, doctors at the Trauma Center told me that it was really touch and go whether I was gonna survive the accident for the first 5 days I was in the Trauma Center. The told me that they had scheduled surgery to release the pressure on my brain caused by the hemorrhage, and about an hour prior to the surgery, the hemorrhage started to resolve on its own. Here I am seven months later, doing very well with several scars, two surgeries to repair my foot, one surgery to remove a large hematoma from my hip, but otherwise completely healthy. I work out at the gym 6 days a week, and have had no ill effects from the hemorrhage. Still have some pain I am dealing with in my right shoulder due to the fracture to my collarbone, but have learned to work thru it.. My question is, because of the traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage, is it still safe for me to scuba dive? Thanks in advance for any and all input.

As long as you're fully recovered, there's no theoretical reason that you couldn't dive, but it would be a good idea for you to be evaluated by a physician trained in diving medicine. There's no dive doc in Vegas that I know of but there are some in the LA area and in San Diego, I'd recommend you go see someone either at the UCSD or Long Beach Memorial hyperbaric unit.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom