Diving and the healing process.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@KR: This happened just recently? First of all the initial damage/swelling has to be gone before anything can be said. In the episode right after the mishap when everything is still healing only rest will help.

@ John a frozen shoulder is not the result of inactivity. It's origin is unknown but it is suspected to be the result of a thickening of the capsula due to an "itis" which limits the movement in the joint. I never stopped moving, just lived on, riding bicycles, walking, diving etc.

I shattered my collarbone in a bicycle accident a few years ago, and it was a long healing process before I could dive again. My fear was frozen shoulder syndrome following prolonged inactivity, and I began working on flexibility exercises as soon as I was allowed. As a planned technical diving trip neared, I got into the pool with my doubles for the first time and found I could not reach my valves with that arm. I worked on the flexibility some more and I had several therapeutic massages. The massages were a huge help. The masseuse was very knowledgeable about this sort of thing, and she worked wonders on that entire area. I was finally able to reach my valves easily just before the trip.

Thank you, this is reassuring :).

@KR: This happened just recently? First of all the initial damage/swelling has to be gone before anything can be said. In the episode right after the mishap when everything is still healing only rest will help.

Yup, this just in, last week.

@ John a frozen shoulder is not the result of inactivity. It's origin is unknown but it is suspected to be the result of a thickening of the capsula due to an "itis" which limits the movement in the joint. I never stopped moving, just lived on, riding bicycles, walking, diving etc.

By "frozen shoulder", are you, by any chance, referring to the dead arm syndrome, or an unrelated condition?

Adhesive capsulitis (Frozen Shoulder) is ridiculously painful and disabling. Mine started in the left shoulder about three weeks after a dive trip. First thought it just an aching muscle in the back of my arm thst eould heal itself. Soon I had no range of motion, constant ache along with shooting nerve pain. It lasted almost two years and eventually all range of motion has been returned, which I've been led to believe is not always the case. A few years after that, it started up in my right shoulder. Fortunately, it only lasted seven months. Unfortunately, MRI showed tendon damage and while that hadn't bothered me for years, it's now a fairly common bother. Left shoulder has been acting up again since last dive trip. I believe it is from hanging one handed onto ladder whilst getting yanked about due to rough seas.

The worst thing I did for the left shoulder, believe it or not, was physio. Really should have just worked with some exercise bands at home and a soothing massage now and then.

Really, the only thing I've changed is that I ask for help getting the shoulder of my dry suit up to where it should be -- yanking my arm up to get it to slide up seems to be one of the worst things I do. I don't dive my sidemount rig, because the over- internal rotation of the shoulder when reaching the attachment points behind me was how the whole thing took off in a really bad way. (It started with two falls.). In general, I try to avoid using my right hand above shoulder level as much as possible. But I'm not a great patient, and I never saw anybody about this except the Ortho fellow I was diving with who diagnosed it in the first place :)

krty5, I'm bringing up Lynne's quote again because I'm also a classic case of getting back to diving from surgery. I too had shoulder surgery--2 of them 6 months apart for repetitive motion injury. That shoulder will never be 100% again, however simple things such as asking for help getting into or out of a part of your kit is necessary. I think the older I get the more things I might need assistance with, but between my buddy and I--we will be in the water! I recently switched from a back entry drysuit to front entry but I need assistance getting that shoulder in the suit too! I was out of the water 18 months from surgery to the end of rehab and then a few more months. I learn how far of a walk it is to the entry and make adjustments if possible. Carrying my steel hp 100 too far will have me reaching for the pain releif bottle and the ice bag when I get home. I'll never be tech, I can't shoulder the weight. Get some PT exercises...yup PT sucks and it's boring but it's a necessity to strengthen up your weak areas and the supporting structures. Those arm bands mentioned by chillyincanada are cheap and work really well too. I have three strengths. My Ortho and PT guys knew I was a diver too, just like Lynne's. But we're a buddy team, speak up--talk about your options and don't push yourself. There are great dives out there and a little research into the site specific amenities should make a dive into a five star dive day!

Man is this thread is right on time..... Just did a 4 dive trip this weekend to the springs. And after lugging my tanks around I find that my left shoulder is very sore. I've has 3 rotator cuff surgeries in the 6 years so I know a little bit bad shoulders. I hoping that with a little down time, ice and a cortisone shot from the Dr. all will be good again. I currently looking at getting/building me a cart to haul my tanks around. At 58 I guess I just not that spring chicken I used to be.

Kr2y5, my suggestion to you is to rest the shoulder to get the swelling down and then slowly work on strengthen the shoulder with the rubber bands. Good luck and keep us posted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom