Diving Around Cebu/Bohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

subzero:
What kinda sites do you have in mind? Diving? Mactan is about 30 mins away, and Moalboal is 2.5 hrs.

anything would be great really something prefereably mactan area, was thinking malapascua but i here thats quite a treck from cebu city

Spoon:
anything would be great really something prefereably mactan area, was thinking malapascua but i here thats quite a treck from cebu city
You can do Moalboal in a day. Leave at 4am, get there around 7, start diving at 7:30 and come home at 5pm. Should be able to do 4 tank dives. For Malapascua, you at least have to stay overnight and yes, its quite a trek.

subzero:
You can do Moalboal in a day. Leave at 4am, get there around 7, start diving at 7:30 and come home at 5pm. Should be able to do 4 tank dives. For Malapascua, you at least have to stay overnight and yes, its quite a trek.

It would be difficult to go to Malapascua, do 4 dives and come back in one day, if that's what you are looking to do. If that is what you are looking for then stay around Mactan if you are basing your self out of Cebu City.

It will take about the same amount of time to get to Maya (where you catch banka for Malapascua) as Moalboal, so the difference will be the 20-30 minute boat ride. As with most things in life, one size doesn't fit all, so while subzero likes Moalboal I found the diving boring, the beach nonexistent and the place ugly, pretty much the opposite to Malapascua. I found Moalboal to be the least impressive place I have dived in the Philippines.

To each his own.

Enjoy where ever you go and safe diving.

Cheers,
Drew

I will second happybuddhas's statements regarding Moalboal. With regards to the diving, I was not impressed. I suppose for me it was because of the relative lack of marine life I encountered. However, the fact is that I am happy diving most anywhere, and the diving is not bad, just below the standard of other areas I have seen in the Philippines. The 10 days I spent there were enjoyable, but I would not go back for the diving if I also had the option of Malapascua, Apo, Bohol, or Leyte as well as they had more to offer me for marine life and varied dive sites with travel time from Cebu being not much more.

I used to be a very big fan of Moalboal. Dove there almost twice a month for 3 years while in school in Cebu. Went back a couple months ago and was not overly impressed anymore. Dont know if the dive changed or I did. I always dive whenever I go to Cebu but now I stick to hilutungan and nalusuan. I always dive with Scubaworld as thats where I took my iDC and is my LDS in Cebu. If I am lucky they have trips to Balicasag or Cabilao during my stay. I have also gone to tingo (sp?) point twice to look for thresher sharks but no luck so far.

Their website leaves a lot to be desired but check it out. www.scubaworld.com.ph

Back
Top Bottom