Diving Cold Water - Hood/Suit Combo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum:
...From your picture I suspect you are closer to the 6 pound range...
:lol:
Pete...that's not me in the avatar. It's from the movie Super Troopers. I'm pretty sure I've never done that at the firing range.

Ok, here's my final order list:

XS SCUBA 6/4/3MM PYROSTRETCH ZIPPERED HOODED VEST 2XLarge $64.95
AKONA BY SHERWOOD 7MM TITANIUM JUMPSUIT Mens - Black 2XLarge $156.95
OCEANIC 6.5MM NEO CLASSIC HARD SOLE ZIPPER BOOTS Mens 12 $53.95
AKONA BY SHERWOOD 5MM KEVLAR VELCRO GLOVES Black XLarge $35.95
SubTotal: $311.80

So, what do ya think? It looks like the price/quality are right. Unless someone has an extreme opposition to one of these items, I think this is the way I'm going to go. I'll wait until Sunday to see if I need to change anything.

Got my order today, here's the rundown:

Gloves: On backorder. Should get next week.
Boots: Fit/feel great!
Jumpsuit & hooded vest: The vest went on great. I'm not sure if I should trim the opening or not. Where should the hole sit on my face? I put the fullsuit on over it, and it appears to fit just fine. The 7mm (plus the 5mm vest) is quite a bit different than my 3mm suit. I could breathe fine, and didn't feel like I couldn't move...but it was odd feeling (kinda "tight"). Based on what I know about wetsuits, the fit is normal.
After sweating in it, I had to pull everything off inside-out to get out of it. Oh, and getting out of a sweated up vest was lots of fun!

I normally don't do this, but I'm going to give a slight 'nudge' to this thread, since I'm hoping someone can comment on my above post. Thanks!

I may be a wimp, but I use a DUI 50/50 for water that chilly, I have seen people in wet down to the high 40's but I prefer the warmth of the dry suit

fire_diver:
The suitability of a 7mm will depend entirely on the user. For me personally, I use a 7mm one-piece suit (Bare arctic) and a hood with 5mm boots. I am fine down to the 40's with it. Others would never consider diving 60 degree water without a drysuit.

I don't think the vest is needed, but again, that's up to you. If you do use it, it should go under the wetsuit.
Just remember... The more Neoprene you wear, the more funky your bouyancy will get until you get used to it. My first dive in a 7mm felt like learning bouyancy all over again.

FD
Totally agree... Have the same set up (But do wear socks 2 mill - not for warmth but for comfort - my fins seem to be rubbing a little too much with my boots)...

Everything does depend on the person - how he/she reacts to the cold - I don't care... Max protection for me would be my Bare Arctic one piece with a 3 mill. vest.

TJcop:
Got my order today, here's the rundown:

Gloves: On backorder. Should get next week.
Boots: Fit/feel great!
Jumpsuit & hooded vest: The vest went on great. I'm not sure if I should trim the opening or not. Where should the hole sit on my face? I put the fullsuit on over it, and it appears to fit just fine. The 7mm (plus the 5mm vest) is quite a bit different than my 3mm suit. I could breathe fine, and didn't feel like I couldn't move...but it was odd feeling (kinda "tight"). Based on what I know about wetsuits, the fit is normal.
After sweating in it, I had to pull everything off inside-out to get out of it. Oh, and getting out of a sweated up vest was lots of fun!

That's one of the reasons I went with the full 7mm Artci w the 7,, Hodded vest...both supply insolation, but I dont have to fight to get into or out of them,....just the usual minor push to get the hands and feet through.

Rememeber you new suit will stretch quite a bit, and once it's been crushed a few times it'll loosen up a bit.

When you tried it on, did you get it wet...In the shower, or your pool, etc.

You alse rep should have mentioned this....always get the suit wet when doing the final sizing as they tend to stretch.

Good luck with your choices..they seem okay, and they should be based on your comfort level. Personally, I liked the extra thickness when the water hits 50, and starts falling off from there. And don't forget you'll have the thremocline to deal with when diving at home.

Right now in Lake ontario, it can be a 10 + degree shift down once you break the thermocline....BRRRR

Just got back from day 1 of my AOW dives. We were at Pearl Lake in Illinois. Nice facility...really no divers today. Vis was...oh, about 2 inches, except in the "hole" at 72 feet it was about 10-15ft. Water temp was mid to low 50's in the deep parts. My new gear was awesome! Thanks everyone! I was nice and toasty (except my poor lips...any suits for those?).
Tomorrow we'll be diving the Prins William in Lake Michigan (off of Milwaukee). Vis is supposed to be muuuuuch better, although a little cooler. I'll report how the suit held up tomorrow!

Sorry for the delay, if anyone is still here....

Anyways, the Willie was great! 30-40ft vis, bottom temp 42~45 degrees. The hood and suit were great! The only thing that got cold were my feet and hands. I'm wondering if putting my suit over my boots & gloves might help? It seems that they get cold since there is alot of water movement through them. The feet when kicking, and the hands through the wrists.

I did learn one thing....If I plan to make a habit of that kind of water, a dry suit will be a welcome item.

Yes, there are suits for your lips. Well, not suits exactly, but you can get a nylon lip guard that goes around your 2nd stage mouthpiece. You just slide it up over your lips and it traps a bit of water there - reduces the amount of water movement and heat loss.

Of course, the other option is a full-face mask. I haven't tried one, yet, but they look like fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom