Diving "Conservative" vs Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard that young women have set up little businesses for themselves where they come as a guest to young girl's pool parties (birthdays) and perform as mermaids and swim with the little girls. Sounds like a great little business and engaging activity for the young girls and might even make B-days' more fun for the dads! Do mermaids use nitrox?

well one thing, i do feel less tired after nitrox than regular air dive. This being said the main advantage of nitriox for me is to have a longer NDL and reduce interval time. I lost track of the rest of the post and comments.

If I'm doing one dive on air and I feel like crap then I should probably get to the root of why that is?
Agree. I wouldn't switch to nitrox just to make the same dive and feel better. I expect I would feel equally as bad on nitrox with a longer dive -- i.e., one with comparable tissue loading. Find & fix the real problem.

I think you guys are barking up the wrong tree here. I suspect it has nothing to do with ongassing or exertion or ascent rates or even diving.

Nitrox makes yoy feel better because it is more oxygen. I strongly suspect you can get the same effect from sitting in your living room breating off a nitrox tank because you are getting more than 21% O2. By the time you are old enough to afford this hobby we mostly have some blockage and age related breakdown of our various pipes and systems and we don't circulate as well as we should. Breathing in extra oxygen gets it to the places that aren't getring quite enough most of the time and those cells are happy.
Our bodies can only metabolize about 5% of the oxygen we breathe. The other 95% is exhaled. Adding oxygen to the air does not increase the amount we use.

This topic has been discussed nearly an infinite number of times on SB. All else being equal, your risk of DCS is related to your nitrogen exposure and accumulation. Reduce your nitrogen exposure with decreased dive times and/or use of nitrox and you reduce your risk. Dive nitrox to the same limits that you dive air and the risk is equalized.
I agree with this.

Our bodies can only metabolize about 5% of the oxygen we breathe. The other 95% is exhaled. Adding oxygen to the air does not increase the amount we use.

When elevated O2 is inhaled, arterial blood becomes saturated with oxygen and there is a drastic increase in tissue pO2

I've heard that young women have set up little businesses for themselves where they come as a guest to young girl's pool parties (birthdays) and perform as mermaids and swim with the little girls. Sounds like a great little business and engaging activity for the young girls and might even make B-days' more fun for the dads! Do mermaids use nitrox?

I have a friend who does this and makes decent money at it. There is also a club / professional associarion with preformance requirements to be able to join (imagine that) for mers who do it professionally. The performance requirements are centered around skills and abilities that one needs to perform at such as being able to get out of the water onto a pool deck while wearing a tail without assistance. A good tail with a monofin can set you back $1000. The mers I know are freedivers and often wear weight belts for exactly the same reasons freedivers do. My friend makes lead weights cast in the shape of sea shells that can be worn as a weight belt so it is less obvuous. I said she should make some fish shaped ones that looked like remoras.

I know this is off topic, but since you brought it up...

I am pretty sure (could be wrong) the first agency that offered mermaid training was NAUI, followed soon after by SSI. PADI did it after that. I don't know about other agencies.

There are evidently people who want to have training in using those mermaid tails, perhaps to get jobs doing the mermaid shows in aquariums. If people want such a service, what is wrong with someone providing it? By "money-grubbing," are you saying that the instruction should be provided free of charge? Do you resent the fact that instructors are paid for the work they do?

I went to the hardware store recently to replace one of my power tools. Can you believe it? The money grubbers wanted me to pay for it!
Today's scuba industry reminds me a great deal of the brilliant movie Glengarry Glen Ross, based upon a play of the same name, about of a bunch of flailing, foul-mouthed real estate salesmen, desperate to keep their jobs, selling "rolling land" in Florida, and forced to adhere, under 'pain of death," to their corporate mantra of "A.B.C" -- "always be closing!" -- exemplified most recently, by my niece, just attempting to pick up a prescription mask and a neoprene snorkel keeper, while the cashier flashed his veneers and flogged an upcoming trip to Barbados.

"Are you done?" I asked the kid, and he brusquely mentioned something about currently working with a customer; that he would eventually get to me; and would not quit his scripted spiel on live-aboard arrangements until I actually purchased her gear.

Strangely enough, he made no mention of the Lesser Antilles to me.

Some years back, I attended a DEMA show with a dealer friend of mine, who also could not believe how bloated, expensive and cynical the industry had become and showed me a listing for some marketing seminar, whose title I cannot recall; but the gist was geared toward LDS efforts at "up-selling."

When I first began diving, at the "Y", classes were "one and done," or "two and done," and that was it. No one was attempting to sell us "gold," "platinum," and "silver," gear sets, which cost more than my car did in college; nor were we ever steered in one brand direction or another; and a kid with a crap Summer job could cobble together a kit (I certainly did). I didn't take any additional class (NAUI) until college -- and then, only to get further access to local boats, and, well, girls.

There had been an old Foremost plastic milk crate at the "Y" with a number of banged-up regulator brands -- Scubapro, Poseidon, Aqua-Lung, Dacor, among them -- which we regularly switched and were encouraged to experiment with -- along with being provided a short list of local dive shops to purchase masks, snorkels, etc. No further marketing was ever involved.

That analogy of equating a scuba class "specialty" with a power tool is a bit weak, since that Makita drill, whatever, that you recently replaced, is material; useful, for years to come -- and a scuba agency vanity patch for garbage collection most certainly is not . . .

I have a friend who does this and makes decent money at it. T
I see.

I initially thought it was some sort of aberrant sexual thing, akin to the "furries' who can often be seen, dry-humping one another, against a wall, in the local downtown . . .

Today's scuba industry reminds me a great deal of the brilliant movie Glengarry Glen Ross, based upon a play of the same name, about of a bunch of flailing, foul-mouthed real estate salesmen, desperate to keep their jobs, selling "rolling land" in Florida, and forced to adhere, under 'pain of death," to their corporate mantra of "ABC" -- "always be closing!" -- exemplified most recently, by my niece, attempting to pick up a prescription mask and a neoprene snorkel keeper, while the cashier showed off his veneers and flogged an upcoming trip to Barbados.

"Are you done?" I asked the kid, and he brusquely mentioned something about currently working with a customer; that he would eventually get to me; and would not quit his scripted spiel on live-aboard arrangements until I actually purchased her gear.

Oddly enough, he made no mention of the Lesser Antilles to me.

Some years back, I attended a DEMA show with a dealer friend of mine, who also could not believe how bloated, expensive and cynical the industry had become and showed me a listing for some marketing seminar, whose title I cannot currently recall; but was basically geared toward efforts at "up-selling."

When I first began diving, at the "Y", classes were "one and done," or "two and done," and that was it. No one was attempting to sell us "gold," "platinum," and "silver," gear sets, which cost more than my car did in college; nor were we ever steered in one brand direction or another; and a kid with a crap Summer job could cobble together a kit (I certainly did). I didn't take any additional class until college -- and then, only to get further access to local boats, and, well, girls.

There had been a plastic milk crate at the "Y" with a number of banged-up regulator brands --Scubapro, Poseidon, Aqua-Lung, Dacor -- which we regularly switched and were encouraged to experiment with -- along with being provided a short list of local dive shops to purchase masks, snorkels, etc. No further marketing was ever involved.

That analogy of equating a scuba class / "specialty" with a power tool is a bit weak, since that Makita drill, what have you, that you recently replaced, is material; useful, for years to come -- and a scuba agency vanity patch for garbage collection most certainly is not . . .
So is your story about the "Y" and its system the reason it ended its scuba program? According to the analysis of early scuba Marketing in The History of NAUI, the YMCS system was a failure from the start.

The person who sold me the power tool got paid for the work he did in giving me advice. He got paid for the service he provided. Why should scuba instructors not get paid for the services they provide? If people don't want those classes, they don't have to take them. If they want to take them, why shouldn't instructors provide them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom