Diving dry - What about your head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

40deg x 50min @ 90ft + 7mm hood = no problem

PerroneFord:
do it easy, I have seen the ice hoods, which are essentially latex hoods that go under your drysuit hood. I'd imagine that they would warm your head up considerably. Also, I have been quite impressed with the Pinnacle Merino lined items and I know they make a 7mm merino lined hood in both drysuit and wetsuit applications. Might want to try one of those two solutions.

I just got the wool lined drysuit hood in the mail yesterday and haven't had a chance to get it wet yet.

I should also add that, in the summer time, some people dive in 7mm wetsuits, but usually shallower than 100' and within recreational limits.

I've heard some people say that saltwater feels warmer than freshwater. I was diving in the PNW over the turkey holiday and it certainly felt that way to me.

Did I get this right, you use 7mm hood in Florida springs/caves?

I think you'd be better off visiting St Lawrence river in August, and maybe test out that end of Lake Ontario for your head issues first :)

I would safely guess that, yes, your head will be getting very very cold in the Great Lakes' thermoclines. Prepare adequately floridian, take an extra beanie to add-on to your hood if nothing else. And make sure you remove your mask in the cold knowingly, so you do not get that shock black out!! :D

PerroneFord:
Since I've decided to go dry, there is a question that keeps creeping into my mind. Does your head/face get cold?

Below 50F I dive dry with a 7mm hood and my head is just fine. As for the cheeks & mouth area there is no shock or discomfort to speak of.

As I get below 40F I'll add 2mm beanie. Not so much for the extra rubber but rather for a second barrier when there is some seepage. The cold water never gets a clean shot at me. Below 38F or so the first minute is refreshingly brisk on the lips until they go a little numb.

My hoods are all trimmed to overlap my mask skirt by about 1/4 inch so there is no direct on the forehead.

Pete

At least down to 43, your face feels cold when it hits the water but you don't notice it after that. But the fun is when you go to try and shoot a bag at the end of the dive, and your lips are numb and won't move! (I've learned to take my other hand to pinch my lips around the bag inflator. I suspect Steve was shaking his head at that last weekend :) )

piikki:
Did I get this right, you use 7mm hood in Florida springs/caves?

I think you'd be better off visiting St Lawrence river in August, and maybe test out that end of Lake Ontario for your head issues first :)

I have a 7mm hood not because I NEED one, but that is what I bought on sale at the shop! I often do the dives without a hood in the summer. But when the air temps are in the 40s here like they were in Jan., getting out of the water sucks without the hood on.

Come out with us on our boat in Lake Erie sometime, we have a nice thermocline that goes from about 65 degrees to 44 degrees right at 70 feet, I dont even need a depth gauge to know when I hit 70 anymore.

65 degrees to 70 feet, Ha you guys must stay at home for most of the season.

TSandM:
At least down to 43, your face feels cold when it hits the water but you don't notice it after that. But the fun is when you go to try and shoot a bag at the end of the dive, and your lips are numb and won't move! (I've learned to take my other hand to pinch my lips around the bag inflator. I suspect Steve was shaking his head at that last weekend :) )

Even with the corner of the mouth technique? Didn't Joe show you that one?

do it easy:
I've heard some people say that saltwater feels warmer than freshwater. I was diving in the PNW over the turkey holiday and it certainly felt that way to me.

The changes in temps at the thermoclines are usually bigger and more noticable in freshwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom