Diving dry - What about your head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Since I've decided to go dry, there is a question that keeps creeping into my mind. Does your head/face get cold?

Most of my dives will be conducted in the springs and caves of North Florida. I already wear a hood so that's not a big deal. But with dives coming up this year in NC and in the Great Lakes, I find myself wondering if my head is going to absolutely freeze, and how my face with no thermal protection on it, is going to do.

Currently, I wear a 7mm hood and of course my head and face never get cold. I have heard about "ice-cream headaches" from diving in bitterly cold water. They say the sensation passes and you get used to it.

So how about it? I'd like to hear from you Lake Michigan/Lake Superior guys. Or maybe from some of the guys or ladies who normally dive warmer water like me, but enjoy diving in the Lakes. How bad is it really??

Thanks for your thoughts.

Water here in MA is right now around 36/37F. I dive with a 7mm hood. My head does not get cold (at least for hour long dives). Hands are a different matter. Dry gloves or not, my hands go in an hour, and then the dive is over.

TSandM:
At least down to 43, your face feels cold when it hits the water but you don't notice it after that. But the fun is when you go to try and shoot a bag at the end of the dive, and your lips are numb and won't move! (I've learned to take my other hand to pinch my lips around the bag inflator. I suspect Steve was shaking his head at that last weekend :) )

Good point. While my head does not get cold, my lips DO get quite numb. You don't notice this until you switch regs or otherwise need those lips to actually move.

while I have your attention, any of you cold water experts have an opinon on cold water undergarments:

DUI 400g vs Viking Arctic Plus s Weezle Extreme + vs Pinnacle Merino???

Anyone HAVE the Viking?

I dive the Pinnacle Merino. All winter has been in the upper to mid 30s. Have been relatively warm. I don't wear it with any other layers. In CA, in waters in the mid-50s, I'd come up sweating. Very nice undersuit.

Rainer:
I dive the Pinnacle Merino. All winter has been in the upper to mid 30s. Have been relatively warm. I don't wear it with any other layers. In CA, in waters in the mid-50s, I'd come up sweating. Very nice undersuit.
What do you compare it against?

Merino all the way.
I bought my suit just before they came out with the Evo2 and merino stuff so I only have the Evo.
That said I wear "Thick Wick" under my Evo that I got from EMS. Even in 32 degree water my core stays warm, I sweat out of the water. The Merino is like a snowmoble suit on steroids.

I have compared my Pinnacle stuff to DUI and Whites, last I heard all the instructors at my LDS have or are going to have an Evo2 and merino suit on order.

You get a lot of bang for the buck with Pinnacle, I thought the DUI stuff was way over priced when I stand next to one of there suits.

PerroneFord:
Since I've decided to go dry, there is a question that keeps creeping into my mind. Does your head/face get cold?

Most of my dives will be conducted in the springs and caves of North Florida. I already wear a hood so that's not a big deal. But with dives coming up this year in NC and in the Great Lakes, I find myself wondering if my head is going to absolutely freeze, and how my face with no thermal protection on it, is going to do.

Currently, I wear a 7mm hood and of course my head and face never get cold. I have heard about "ice-cream headaches" from diving in bitterly cold water. They say the sensation passes and you get used to it.

So how about it? I'd like to hear from you Lake Michigan/Lake Superior guys. Or maybe from some of the guys or ladies who normally dive warmer water like me, but enjoy diving in the Lakes. How bad is it really??

Thanks for your thoughts.

Been in 38˚ with a 7mm hood (Pinnacle) kept me toasty warm. The only cold spots were where there was no hood or mask, i.e. lips and the little bit of cheek exposed. Nothing that you can’t ignore.
:monkeydan

Rainer
Check out Pinnacle's Fleece, its great for mid temps.
Depending on dive time we normally switch over to the Fleece around the 50 degree point unless we are in the water for over and hour.

I just got my Evolution undergarment. LOVE IT! But have only had it around the house. So the Merino seemed like a natural. However, a lot of people swear by that 400g thinsulate. Hence my insterest in the Viking.

Here's my thinking

1. FL Caves: For no deco, probably just dri-fit or heatgear + sweats. With Deco, Pinnacle Evo.

2. NC: Cold-geear/Polarmax + Pinnacle Evo

3. Great Lakes: Pinnacle Merino / DUI 400g /Viking Arctic Plus

Thoughts?

The wrench in all the works is that my shop is a Weezle dealer. It's not like I HAVE to wear a Weezle, but I get nice pricing. The local Pinnacle dealer gave me a STEAL of a price on the Evolution so I can't complain.

By the way, what are you guys wearing to keep your feet warm?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom