Diving dry - What about your head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fppf:
Rainer
Check out Pinnacle's Fleece, its great for mid temps.
Depending on dive time we normally switch over to the Fleece around the 50 degree point unless we are in the water for over and hour.

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look. Will need to pick up something less heavy for the summer and trips further south.

PerroneFord:
By the way, what are you guys wearing to keep your feet warm?

Socks! I just have a pair of wool blend socks.

I used to use the UA coldgear, but I'm not convinced that it works. It might work as a wicking layer, but I don't think it offers any warmth and I don't care for the too snug fit. I went back to the 10 year old Duofold poly/wool blend base layer. It's pretty hard to find synthetic/wool blend base layers nowadays.

fppf:
65 degrees to 70 feet, Ha you guys must stay at home for most of the season.
As long as the boat can be in the lake, so am I. I have made a bunch of dives to low 40's and high 30's in my wetsuit, but I'm really looking forward to being dry.

I swear by the 4th Element socks. I tried a bunch of things before I bought them, and the only thing that kept my feet warm were the iron filing heater things the skiers use. But that wasn't an option, once I went to Nitrox all the time. The 4th Element socks are amazing, and I don't really understand them, because they look like two layers of sweatshirt material. But they work.

Rainer:
Very thick Merino socks from REI. Not sure of details. Feet also don't get cold. It's all about your hands...
Yup- I only notice my feet getting cold when I'm standing around between dives. :D

My hands will get cold underwater- I wore the wrong liners once and my hands were so cold that I would have sworn that I holed my glove and flooded it, but it was bone dry when I took the glove off.

Jimmer:
As long as the boat can be in the lake, so am I. I have made a bunch of dives to low 40's and high 30's in my wetsuit, but I'm really looking forward to being dry.

Your more brave than I, coldest I ever dove wet was 50 degrees. After that I went to my LDS, slammed the Visa on the counter and ordered my Pinnacle Evo. I was in the water for over an hour, but never again.

For my Feet I went with EMS again, same type of Merino socks for a good price. Get 2 pairs of there socks for the price of 1 pair of Smart wool. If you look at the lable there made the same.

Well, I got a bunch of wool socks, so Im golden. Thanks for all the helpful tips so far guys.

I'll hijaak my own thread again :)

Argon? Yes no? How much do you use on an hour's dive? I figure I'll add a 6cuft bottle of air for cave use, and just switch the gas later. But I want to get used to having the bottle to deal with.

I used about half a 6 cu ft bottle per day during Rec Triox. The dives were shallow, but we were in the water a long time.

In Nanaimo, where we were diving in the 100 ft range, I got two good dives out of a 6 cu ft tank, but I have no idea how much I had left, as there was no gauge on the tank.

It makes a HUGE difference. I would not have believed it, had I not done a self-controlled sort of study.

fppf:
Your more brave than I, coldest I ever dove wet was 50 degrees. After that I went to my LDS, slammed the Visa on the counter and ordered my Pinnacle Evo. I was in the water for over an hour, but never again.

For my Feet I went with EMS again, same type of Merino socks for a good price. Get 2 pairs of there socks for the price of 1 pair of Smart wool. If you look at the lable there made the same.
Not brave, just desperate to dive, and considering it's the Great Lakes, I dont have much choice but to be cold. I've got a White's Catalyst 360 on order, so my days of ice diving wet are over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom