Diving for beginners in Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen the "round the boat" thing a lot, especially there where students end up doing about 100m at absolute most when you work it out. It's a clear violation of training standards by the instructor. The whole point is they've got a standard metric to work off without guessing - a set distance. This covers them legally amongst other things.

It's bad planning completely to throw a student in for a swim that must be a specific distance without having any idea at all what distance they'll do.

And, at the end of the day, it's the instructor who was there to determine if I met the standard. As described by me, you might believe otherwise, as the guy in the water, and a strong swimmer all my life. I'll give the lean to the guy that's there.

Unless you had a boat about 80m long (do you dive of ferrys?) then i seriously doubt the instructor actually bothered with the training standards. As is common.
It's not a case of being a strong swimmer or not - the standard is there as a reason and isn't optional.

I agreed with others on trying out a discover scuba program or try to get certified first before hand.

I did my OW certification in El Nido with Palawan Divers in 2011. With a finite vacation time as a slow learner, I found myself rushed and struggling on the basics such as putting on a wet suit & equilization (we only had a class size of 2; myself & a buddy, DM & DM candidate).

At one point, we did not know if we were going to pass as I had a painful left ear & my buddy came down with a cold. We had a great DM who was in a bit of a rush but knowledgable & tough enough on us. He made me do the confined water CESA (controlled surface emergency ascend) twice. But it paid off, I made the CESA during open water.

If you do decide to go for it, don't let anyone rush you. Pay attention to all the details & equipment. Be prepared to be spoiled as it felt like Chrismas underwater every time we dove El Nido.

Back
Top Bottom