Diving gear in Canada is really expensive....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I worked in retail for a long time. I can tell you its not the retailers that are benefitting from the higher selling prices. For the most part its not the distributers either. The manufacturers are the ones that seem to benefit from the higher costs. The marketing excuse has always been that the lower population and shipping costs are some of the reasons for higher costs. Obviously a low dollar factors in as well like back when it was worth 62 cents. I simply don’t buy the higher shipping costs BS. You can drive to Grand Forks from Winnipeg in under two hours and purchase goods at a greatly reduced cost. According to the last census the whole state of North Dakota has a population 739,482. That’s lower population than the city of Winnipeg if you include the suburbs.

I was shopping for a new truck in North Dakota a few years ago. The dealers refused to sell to me because I was Canadian. They stated that it was their company policy so they weren’t competing their Canadian counter parts. This wasn’t just one car company either. It was all of them.

U.S. car dealers refusing Canadians illegally, prof says - Ottawa - CBC News

A lot of items are around the same price, but big ticket items and specialty items always cost more in Canada. My camper trailer I purchased in the States was 13,000 dollars cheaper in the US than it was in Canada. 13,000 dollars cheaper! I’m sorry but that’s criminal. I had to pay $30 to get it safety done on it before I could register it. I did have to pay GST and PST taxes on it, but so what. I didn’t have to pay any American taxes on it.

While I’m sure population may play a small part as to why the costs are higher in Canada, I’m sure its not the only reason. I’m sure manufacturers know that they can get away with charging more in certain countries so they do. With globalization and internet shopping the only people their practice hurts is the small business retailer.

Speaking to the manager of my LDS last week. They were having a tax free sale and I managed to get the Hero4 Black before the new stock comes in, with a hefty price increase attached. I did a quick price check on bestbuy before I called and was wondering why they are now charging $599 while last week it was $549.

The manager told me the latest pricing is starting to come in and it's not pretty for us Canadians. Better buy now!

Back
Top Bottom