Diving in a typical neighborhood lake/pond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving can be interesting and FUN no matter where you dive.

A little advice however. Generally, "flowing" water is safer than "standing" water when you are concerned about contaminates. BUT, try to find out the history of the area. Was it a commercial or manufacturing property at one time? Was there dumping in the area? Does the EPA have any hazards listed for that particular site? Many cities and counties have offices dedicated to zoning, conditional or property use requirements, etc., with records extending back more than 100 years. These can help. Recommendations by an LDS can help too.

I think one of the best and often "overlooked" types of diving in the USA is "artifact" diving at "old" points of interest. Long before the road (followed by the interstate) system in this country was ever planned, people and vehicles got across rivers and streams using "pull" ferries. Many of these ferry locations were called "landings" and existed on commonly traveled "roads."

Go to your oldest local library and find an "old" map. Take along a recent "county road" map. Compare the two. Most "old" roads are twisting, not straight. If an "old" road still exists on the "new" map, trace it to a small river or large stream. Look on the "old" map for a place called a "landing." Most "landings" are identified by a "name," common to the person that ran a ferry or owned a trading post or store at the location. Do some research on the location. Find where the ferry landed and visit the site. If the river or stream hasn't changed much in the last 100 years or so, look for a bend or curve "down stream" from the site. In this bend or curve will be a deeper trench often filled with stuff. The trench is usually toward the center of the river, on the "inside" of the curve. The water slows down in this area and stuff drops out. Take a ping-pong paddle and a strong light to the bottom. Make certain the current isn't too strong (generally less than 2 MPH; i.e., you could stand in it without getting pushed over). Move the bottom sediment using the paddle. Within an hour, you WILL find stuff. Medicine and Whiskey Bottles are VERY common. Firearms, coins, tools and other stuff can also be found.

Keep in mind this is BLACK WATER diving and takes some experience. Sometimes it's better to start on the river's edge, followed by deeper and deeper excursions into the river's center. Beware of obstructions, changing water conditions and other stuff. NEVER dive a "fast" river, unless you REALLY know what you are DOING and even then, it's risky.

Food for thought...

These CAN be some of the most dangerous diving you can do. Do your homework FIRST.

Gary D.

I dive in my pond, but my family and I dug it ourself about 6 years ago for fishing and water for the cows. Its about 2 acres in size and deepest part about 30ft most of it less than 10ft though. Visibility when good 3ft. when bad 0ft. I enjoy going for a quick dive in the pond but my family definetly thinks I'm nuts, I think the cows do too, haha. Last time I went my grandfather was passing by and stopped and said to my mom that I was her son and she said no he is your grandson. But anyway I enjoy it because of the challenge of diving in limited visibility.

There is a lake here if FL "lake Denton" that is often used as a open water cert spot. I is about 50 feet at the deepest and offers up to 15f viz. It is a very easy entry( made a bit harder with kayaks) and even has it guide line in the middle that goes to three differnt sunk boats. its worth doing if your in the area but its nothing to write home about. As far as little muck lakes go I just dont see a reason to "dive" into 3ft of water with inches of viz. Whats the purpose?

There are several local divers that dive ponds at the golf courses. For me, I'll pass.

Dave

tech108diver:
There is a lake here if FL "lake Denton" that is often used as a open water cert spot. I is about 50 feet at the deepest and offers up to 15f viz. It is a very easy entry( made a bit harder with kayaks) and even has it guide line in the middle that goes to three differnt sunk boats. its worth doing if your in the area but its nothing to write home about. As far as little muck lakes go I just dont see a reason to "dive" into 3ft of water with inches of viz. Whats the purpose?

The purpose is to dive. BTW, I was certified in "lake Denton", and despite people who have told me, "it's the worst dive you will ever do", I had an absolute blast. But I am much more easily entertained underwater than most divers, probably the reason for this thread in the first place.

Hey fndmylove
Some research as to where the overflow goes when your local water treatment plant gets to much rain may help you make your decision. Half of the area lakes in Dallas are in an "overflow" zone. Most of the private quarries are not, so they are a lot cleaner.
Contact local dive clubs for some good dive sites.
Britt :fish:
:fish:

fndmylove:
The purpose is to dive. BTW, I was certified in "lake Denton", and despite people who have told me, "it's the worst dive you will ever do", I had an absolute blast. But I am much more easily entertained underwater than most divers, probably the reason for this thread in the first place.

I bet it was made all the more fun becaue you where so excited about "being a diver".

It was kinda neat though and for a lake it was about the pick of the litter for any lake i've ever been in.

JKSteger:
I have dove in several of the larger Lakes around where I live but wouldn't waste my time in the smaller lakes/ponds around. Most are cattle ponds and are only a few feet deep and vis of about 1/16th of an inch and nasty.

I would love to dive my local county resivor. The water is stunningly clear but absolutely NO swimming and/or diving. The local Public Saftey Divers may get to use it as a training hole but I'm not sure.

I see you are in Atlanta. Come out to the Lake Lanier Looney Birds New Year's day dive and feast with us at West Bank Park on New Years day.

What is the water temp like at the surface right now (at lanier)? I actually live about 10 mins from lanier, so this is a great option. Perhaps I need to invest in a 7mm for the winter months.

thanks!

Besides all the negative aspects mentioned above (which should be taken into consideration), diving the small lake/pond in late fall or early spring may yield good visibility. This is due to the algae growth being less or having been killed off by colder temps. Of course this also depends on the amount of runoff that occurs at this time and I don’t know how cold it gets in your area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom