Diving in a typical neighborhood lake/pond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's a small enough pond/lake, then it should be fairly easy to drain it down to remove alot of the crap on the bottom if the neighborhood is that concerned about it.

I grew up my a small lake with a part that was equal the size of a very good sized pond... it was there to catch the sediment coming in from the small creek that flowed into it. (emphasize small.... about as active as a storm sewer). They blocked it off from the rest of the lake, and completely drained it to drudge it one summer. Soon after they started pumping it, the whole thing got down to a small area only a few feet deep towards the middle... and it was absolutely loaded with turtles and fish. Was amazing how many turtles were in that small area...

Anyways, the point being, if it's a smaller lake/pond it'd be relatively easy to drain.

... Love,

You could probably have your local health department check a water sample for you rather inexpensively for coliform bacteria which indicate the presence of sanitary waste in the water. I imagine testing for pesticides, heavy metals, etc. would be more expensive. Do the local kids swim in this pond? Not that kids know what's in the water but if they're swimming in it the Health Dept. may already be aware of the water quality.

Back
Top Bottom