Diving in Atlanta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rubberduck

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be traveling to Atlanta for buisness and was wondering if there were any good dive sights close by worth seeing while I was in town.

I'll be traveling the 3rd week of April, what are the typical water temps?

Thanks

We dive Lake Lanier and Dive Haven Quarry in White Georgia (about an hour up the road) Lake Joacassi is also within a reasonable drive. Check out the Lake Lanier Looneys forum over in Deep Dixie.

Mike

rubberduck:
I'll be traveling to Atlanta for buisness and was wondering if there were any good dive sights close by worth seeing while I was in town.

I'll be traveling the 3rd week of April, what are the typical water temps?

Thanks

water temps are in the gulf are at about 73f to 76f according to the NOAA bouy's. It's about a 5-6 hour drive down from ATL.

for local diving besides Lanier, check out www.divehavenga.com for the local quarry.
expect it to be COLD.

REALLY good ???

No, not really.

the K

White County is the closest. They have some new ultra-sonic gadget that is supposed to kill much of the algae improving vis to around 40 ft. Currently, it is around 20 ft.

There is also a quarry in Athens, TN up above Chattanooga. Anything you do in quarries around here will be high 70s on the surface, thermals about every 10-15 feet and ccccoold down around 60+ feet. Great way to practice and get wet...which is what we all enjoy.

BTW - I would in now way dive Lanier or Allatoona, etc...way too much algae, zero vis and boats all over the place. I would opt for a quarry every time.

actually lanier isn't bad when its cold weather. vis is bad now - I got a wierd vertigo last weekend at 70' with about 2' vis. however even now if you are diving the riprap on the dam where there isn't any silt it can be as good as 20-25.

Back
Top Bottom