Diving in Cayo Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldmaninthesea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just back from a week diving in Cayo Largo. On a scale of 1 to 10 compared to my previous dives in Roatan Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen I'd rate Cayo Largo as a 7 with the Cenotes in the Mayan Riviera and drift diving in Cozumel a 10.
It was good diving but not great diving. I did 9 dives, one of them a night dive. The best sites were Canyon and Acuario. Quite a few grouper and yellow snapper. Barracuda, Tarpon, one turtle and one green moray all week. Good visibility. Coral as heathy as anywhere else in the Caribbean. Many Lionfish.
Overall I had a really good time. The dive centre is well run. The dive instructors, Pepe and Israel, were as good and professional as any I've known. The other divers were a mix of Canadians Europeans Russians Brazilians and even 2 Americans who had applied for permission to visit Cuba. I went alone and met up with 3 other guys from Toronto and we dove together all week. A fun friendly group who I hope to keep in touch with. I rented a BCD and Reg and had no problems. The dives were a bit pricey. 37 CUC per dive and 8 CUC for gear rental. That's about $48 Canadian. We went out around 9:30 and came back around 3 pm. Surface interval inside the reef in calm water. Cold water but no food on board so pack a lunch or take some fruit. It's a long time between breakfast and lunch.
If you can get a cheap package out of Toronto or Montreal, mine was $700 for the flight and all inclusive resort, this makes for a nice week of diving.
Any questions send me a PM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom