Diving in June / July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firstly, thank you to everone for their suggestions. It's most appreciated.

Quero - yes I do prefer more rustic areas. If I could do the diving I wanted to at this time of the year, staying somewhere like Koh Lipe, Koh Bulon etc would be my preference, but I beleive it's the wrong time for the Andaman sea correct?
We can dive in the Andaman Sea all year, but the prevailing winds, coming from the west, make swimming at our sandy beaches problematic due to rip currents, so at that time of year we have many fewer visitors. With fewer visitors, dive centers at outlying islands like Koh Lanta simply don't have enough customers to make dive trips feasible, and in addition, boat travel can be problematic with the small boats that dive centers on Koh Lipe employ. From Phuket we use large boats that can handle the sea conditions, and we take divers to the sheltered sides of the islands, so we still dive. What I'm saying is that "wrong time of year" is not accurate for the diving itself, but rather for the passenger loads at the smaller islands. There are liveaboards departing from Phuket that visit these small islands, however.

I understand Koh Tao is not really rustic, but I was working on the assumption that it was still less touristy than areas like Phuket, Koh Samiu, Phi Phi etc?
Not really. Just because there's no airport doesn't make it more rustic. It's every bit as developed for tourism as Phi Phi, in my estimation, and even more so perhaps since there is actually automobile traffic there. All of the islands you mention have areas that are more built up and areas that are more rustic, and this includes Phuket (perhaps especially Phuket given that it's Thailand's largest island and really only a small part of it is developed).

If you want a Gulf island that's less developed than Tao, you might like Koh Pha Ngan, but not near the site of the full moon parties. The rest of the island is more rustic.

I understand Koh Tao is not really rustic, but I was working on the assumption that it was still less touristy than areas like Phuket, Koh Samiu, Phi Phi etc?

The crowds may be of a different type, compared to Phuket mostly, but still you can't swing a cat without hitting a tourist at Koh Tao. :)
Not saying that I don't like the place, but now it's definitely on the well beaten path.

Back
Top Bottom