Diving in Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gamgan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I'm a new diver who just picked it up again after 6 years since I got my license.

In the last few months I have logged 40 dives, and this list is pretty much what I have picked up in this time.

I live and work in Puerto Rico and have found that there is a ton of resources to be found here, as I have been helped in the past from people on this board, I’ll try and return the favor with some information on PR Diving contact information.

Ok First a Map of PR,
puerto_rico.jpg

Shops / Charters

Diving in Puerto Rico - Facebook page

Diving in Puerto Rico / Buceo en Puerto Rico | Facebook

Another Facebook resource where lots of shops and divemasters post trips and offers, a great resource to ask questions or make contacts

NORTH SIDE of Island

Scuba Dogs
787-783-6377
Scuba Dogs Net - English - Puerto Rico (Scuba, Diving, Sport, Buceo, Natacion, Natación, Travel, Swimming)

Scuba Dogs have several shops including one by the beach in San Juan, El Escambron beach. ( great for shore diving)
The equipment rental will run you about $40 and they have tours In El Escambron beach for $75 including equipment.
The staff they have in the store love to dive, really friendly and are a great bunch to go diving with, you will catch them diving right after work if the conditions are good.

This shore dive is great for refreshing your diving skills, lots of activity, current is not strong, its a shallow dive, from 15 to 25 feet. Tiny caverns to explore, great place to take pictures as the fish will poke your mask looking for hand outs.
Only bad thing is it can be random, some days you get great visibility (about 15 feet) and some times zero visibility. This beach is in San Juan very close to the hotels.

Kalichee Surf shop

Login | Facebook

These guys are always sending out specials on scuba gear and sending out invites to dives around the island from their Facebook page.

Fort Buchanan MWR Shop
787-707-3734

For Military or DOD Cardholders, you can rent a full set of scuba gear from Friday to Monday for $45, Its all Oceanic and well taken care of. Tanks cost $6 each.

EAST SIDE of Island

Casa Del Mar

Scuba Diving Puerto Rico | Yacht Charters | Snorkling | Snuba | Mountain Bikes Tours | Corporate Events in Puerto Rico by Casa del Mar Dive Center

Casa del Mar is diving charter out of Fajardo, easly one of the best. Prices range normally from $130 to $150 for 3 dives, normally takes most of the day, includes drinks snacks , Medallas at the end of the dive, and the ever present and delicious mango Salsa!
They include trips to Saint John, Culebra, Saint Thomas ( sometimes stopping at the islands for lunch) and cool wreck dive on a sunken ship close to St Thomas ( 90feet deep end, 60 feet high end, lots of current, tons of fish, they even do night dives here)

SOUTH WEST Side of island

Pedro Padilla - Guanica
787-473-7997 o 787-309-6556
Diving in Puerto Rico / Buceo en Puerto Rico | Facebook

This Dive master dives almost every single day, and has great luck, most times he dives he’s always bumping into dolphins, turtles, and all sorts of life. His trips normally run from $60 to $80s, for 2 dives off the beautiful Guanica wall, its a short trip out there about 15 minutes. You can have both dives completed and back at your vehicle before noon. Very friendly and easily one of my favorites diving sites. Also post his trips up on his Facebook page and is constantly giving specials (Like 2 divers for the price of one deal). It’s a hour and half drive from San Juan, but very much worth it. Next door to Gaunica is Pargeras too.

Taino Divers - Rincon

Rincon, Puerto Rico, Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, Fishing, Rentals, Rincon, Desecheo, Mona, West Coast

I have not dived with them but have heard people say its a good experience.

West Divers - Pargueras

West Divers PR

I have not dived with them, although several people on this board have expressed concerns about this group, including air tanks that tasted bad, being sent out with out a divemaster and other concerns.

Divemasters ? Victor and Roxanna - Pargueras and other sites
roxannalasanta@hotmail.com

Dont know this team, but seems those who dive with them enjoy it and search for them again and again.

As for the Pargueras;

I dived in the Pargueras a long time ago and from what I remember the trip included trenches, a Wall dive and some really nice coral banks. Also during the night you can go to the bioluminescent bay, but its not longer as impressive as it once was due to contamination and abuse of the site. When I was a kid you could see the water * glow* now it only sparkles when its agitated.

There are a lot more sites and I will continue to add them if there is any interest. Plus you can just Google Puerto Rico Diving and you will get tons of listing for the shops down here.

Hope this list helps :) Any corrections or information thaT I should add is more then welcome!

PS...

Tips and information about Puerto Rico from other members from this forum have said

IBJ40 said,
"Taino Divers is very professional, and we would dive with them, again, as well; we just preferred the wall over Desecheo Island; plus the town of Rincon offers a lot of dining and entertainment opportunities, where the town of La Parguera seemed a little smaller, and challenged when it came to variety and availability.

Savholic said,

Recomended dive sites in PR:

Culebra island (Jiniki dive site is awesome)
Desecheo Island near Rincon (candy land!!!)
The Wall in La Parguera ( more than 30 dive sites...)
Shacks beach (caverns) Isabela
Caja de Muerto Island near Ponce
Crashboat beach & El natural reef in Aguadilla

OpenWaterMike said
Taino Divers; helpful and courteous on the phone and from behind the counter. In the boat, safety briefing was always first then time for fun. Dive Master Izzy took great care of the customers, in and out of the water.

DivingPanda posted;
For those interested, here are some other relevant threads on PR diving:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/greater-antilles/219789-puerto-rico.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/greater-antilles/230630-dive-shops-west-puerto-rico.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr...o-diving-vieque-vs-la-parquera-vs-rincon.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/greater-antilles/232360-puerto-rico.html

Excellent report covering many shops and dive areas by Luis H:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr...ort-puerto-rico-1st-week-november-2007-a.html

Excellent report covering many shops and dive areas by Luis H:
Dive trip report to Puerto Rico (1st week November 2007)

Long thread about diverse diving experiences in PR, definitaly worth reading
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/greater-antilles/318869-trip-report-la-parguera-puerto-rico-december-26-30-2009-a.html

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom