diving in the florida keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, for what it's worth, you can have both. Just about 25-30 miles from Key West is Big Pine Key, and off of Big Pine is an offshore reef called Looe Key. A national marine sancturary etc. etc. Best diving reef in the Keys, bar none, if you like coral formations. You have to go deep into the Caribbean to get better. But wait, there's more! Very close to shore is Big Munson Island and the $900/night Little Palm Island. Just a hundred yards south of Little Palm (the place where movie stars and ancient rockers like the Rolling Stones stay when in the area), there is a patch reef that is a protected sanctuary. 6 to 10 feet of water, incredible marine life, great coral, because it is protected. A great intro for new divers and kids. There are so many lobsters, all of whom know you can't touch them, they have no fear of divers. disgusting. (they should be a convicted of felony-diver-taunting, don't you agree?) This patch reef is used by the middle schoolers who spend a week at Sea Camp, which is a private youth camp on Big Pine out on the SW tip (my 12 year old has done it twice - he loves Sea Camp). You could stay at Parmer's on Little Torch Key (305-872-2157). Quiet, out of the way, bunch of cottages and apartments on the water. Not cheap for 3 star, but worth it - quiet, bay views, soul soothing. And then, there is Key West. We own a Hyatt Vacation Club membership, which is like a timeshare, but you can stay at any of 15 resorts in nation and Caribbean & Hawaii. You can stay at any one of the locations, anytime, or stay at other "networked" resorts. Not your daddy's timeshare. Way better arrangement. There are 3 Hyatt Vacation Club (4 star) properties in Key West (aka lala land). These are 2BR/2BA luxury apartments, with hotel like service. You can rent one of these from an owner on eBay, or rent from the property. Cheaper to go eBay. Everyone should do the "Duval Crawl" once, but get the little ones off the street by 10PM. Key West is an adult town. By 10PM it is 50% drunks, and that percentage increases as the night progresses. You definately want to see the shows at Mallory Square at sundown. An event worth the trip. I much prefer the quieter side of the Keys. Marathon has several nice resort style properties too, way more restaurants than the Big Pine/Little Torch/Sugar Loaf area, and still drivable to Key West, but a bit longer, 50 miles. We have stayed all up and down the Keys, from places "no woman would ever speak to you again" Hell holes, to 5-star properties. I'm mostly of the latter persusion, unless the diving is over the top good, then I'll sleep in a bathtub (there are no places like that in the Keys). Alll and all, we like Marathon the best as the best compromise - great, real local seafood, luxuary places to rest, and still in reach of Looe Key and the debauchery on steroids that typifies a Key West night in summer, but you can reach the Middle Keys dive spots pretty quick too. Hope this helps. feel free to contact me via private message if you want more info. Will in Sarasota

I have never used this operator before, but it is located right on the grounds of the Marriott which I have heard is a fairly nice hotel. not sure if it is 3 stars or not

http://www.itsadive.com/

It's A Dive-Key Largo

I do know the It's a Dive will combine snorkelers and scuba divers on one boat, so your non-diving family and friends can snorkel while you dive. I attempted to use the operator last summer so my daughter and mother could snorkel while I dove but the marine conditions blew out the trip.

The Marriott is a REALLY nice property and I can't imagine his group would not be pleased. I've never heard a bad thing about It's A Dive.

I want to thank everyone for the information, key largo sounds like the perfect place, were not a night life kind of group, more of a lay around the hotel swimming pool with a cold one in our hands at the end of the day type bunch,,, thanks again for all the info......

we're not a night life kind of group, more of a lay around the hotel swimming pool with a cold one in our hands at the end of the day type bunch
Then you're going to LOVE Key Largo!:wink:

Bayside Inn in Key Largo is centrally located and close to some good resaurants and bars. For those in your group that don't dive, we do snorkel trips at Keys Diver. Also, if you mention Keys Diver to Bayside, you can get a $99 room rate (plus tax) We also have lots of discount coupons for places to eat and things to do in Key Largo. Hope this helps.

Bayside Inn in Key Largo is centrally located and close to some good resaurants and bars. For those in your group that don't dive, we do snorkel trips at Keys Diver. Also, if you mention Keys Diver to Bayside, you can get a $99 room rate (plus tax) We also have lots of discount coupons for places to eat and things to do in Key Largo. Hope this helps.

Hey Rob,
Welcome to scubaboard. Now we're neighbors in cyberspace and in the "real world." :D
Are you running your new boat yet?

As said
KEY WEST SITE SEE,
KEY LARGO DIVE!

That said lets start the trip many of the Florida Key resorts are (dive) resorts/dives to some folks a bit tired ! oh well I need a clean bed/bath-heated pool is a pluss+ a bar to decompress at and tell dive stories at walking distance +++! got one,Near Key West off Island,
LOOE KEY,Dive resort.clean rooms rock in Tiki bar and fair prices
Florida Keys scuba diving dive training charter boats,Looe Keys Dive Center Florida scuba,scuba diving dive training Florida Keys,dives boat charters scuba diving Florida keys,Vandenberg Busch wrecks

OK a great small hotel,bar and eating joint with CLEAN ROOMS!
a tropical rear court yard and ROCKIN pool area, with a grill to cook the catch of the day is the "Ocean View" Owner Ret.Football player Garry Dunn years back remodeled this place and my oldest son high school football player has spotted some foot ball legend's *(off broadcast season) in the pub *the locals know whom have places nearby,
The Ocean View Inn and Sports Pub - Home Page

HAVE YOUR AX CARD READY! OK need a fancy place for the Gal's? THIS IS IT<Hawks Cay,

Florida Keys Luxury Resort - Hawks Cay Resort

I still love the resort were you walked out your room and boarded the fast dive boat,got to hang with other divers at night from around the world,like the Tropic Vista as I am datting my diving the Keys,sadly they are disapering but there are some left and a choice of mine in Largo area is AMY SLATES!

Amoray Home Page

Amy has a resort course but I think some folks that were down with us did it at John pennekamp state park for a resort discover scuba for less$$
Welcome to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park - Key Largo, Florida Keys
make sureto check out Robbies to feed the tarpon,
Robbie's of Islamorada: Offering the widest diversity of recreational marine activities in Islamorada, Florida Keys - Offshore, Backcountry and Partyboat Fishing, Boat Rentals, Guided Tours, and Tarpon Feeding.
Get a fish sandwich at Craigs!
and book your dives the night before cut no plans in stone,be flexible and do the siteseeing when you cant dive! the winds can blow you out!
hope this helps,
dive safe! I will be down in a month!
Brad

I have never used this operator before, but it is located right on the grounds of the Marriott which I have heard is a fairly nice hotel. not sure if it is 3 stars or not

http://www.itsadive.com/

It's A Dive-Key Largo

I do know the It's a Dive will combine snorkelers and scuba divers on one boat, so your non-diving family and friends can snorkel while you dive. I attempted to use the operator last summer so my daughter and mother could snorkel while I dove but the marine conditions blew out the trip.

It's A Dive is a wonderful operation. I have dove with them a few times in the past and had a great time on all my trips. The Hotel is nice as well and has a nice resturant on the water.

Amoray Home Page
The OP wants 3 stars or above. Just sayin'.

Marriot and Its A Dive are probably their best choice in Key Largo.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom