Diving Lobos: 11/29/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey quick note!

When at lobos last week one of the park admins im guessing... slightly older woman came up to us and asked what we thought about the ramp. The obviously want to make it more like the boat launch in Monterey as far as the texture, but say they have no money. She also said they lost their grant for the work. However she was wanting to install some form of hemp rope attached to shortish poles on one side of the ramp. I told her while it may help in getting up I doubt it would help in preventing falls. Now a rail would help more but that didn't seem like an option.

I did think that all our scuba use fees were for lifeguards/admin fee to charge the fee and the ramp "maintenance" but I guess in the end its not enough to cover the ramps costs.

I'd donate some money towards a fixed rail - maybe others would too? that ramp can be sketchy.

She is Pretty, And very cute, Don't tell her I said that though! She Might beat me up!:D
Jim you're a sweetie :kiss2:!

I thought BAUE at one point was behind a hand rail at Lobos? Wasn't there something about permits that couldn't be resolved?

There were engineering problems with the hand rail. If installed on the
boat ramp, it would get in the way of launching boats. The best idea was
to put it at the ocean end of the parking lot where there are some really bad
concrete stairs, but that would require some significant engineering work.

Permits didn't look like a problem -- the Coastal Commission is very in
favor of improved ocean access.

There were engineering problems with the hand rail. If installed on the
boat ramp, it would get in the way of launching boats.
I was there with Brandon while we were all discussing the railing idea, and I pointed out the problem with potential intereference to boat launching to the lady who was proposing the idea. She claimed the stauncheons would be back in the rocks, away from the paved area, and therefore not likely to interefere. I disagree. While it would be nice to have a railing there (and don't forget, I'm the one with the broken shoulder from having gone splat on that ramp), I don't see any way they can do it without impacting boat operations.

Bruce

What is the issue then? Wasn't there funds available privately to complete the project of the stairs and a hand rail?

I wonder how much the stair project would cost? Its silly that people are getting hurt.

Seems enough people would privately support working a solution out.

Last edited:
A set of stairs at the back of the barking lot into somewhat deeper water would be awesome! The boaters can have that death ramp all to themselves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom