Diving Menjangan Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pezgrande

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello,

Please tell me about diving Menjangan Island ~ Bali. I am a teacher taking High School Students on a trip to Bali, and trying to decide if diving is appropriate for their age/ability. I am an instructor but have not dove with these kids. I am looking at their abilities soon.

I will also say that I did dive Raja Ampat, and so I am well versed in the strong currents there. Would I encounter the same conditions at Menjangan Island?

Thank you for your response

Hello,

Please tell me about diving Menjangan Island ~ Bali. I am a teacher taking High School Students on a trip to Bali, and trying to decide if diving is appropriate for their age/ability. I am an instructor but have not dove with these kids. I am looking at their abilities soon.

I will also say that I did dive Raja Ampat, and so I am well versed in the strong currents there. Would I encounter the same conditions at Menjangan Island?

Thank you for your response

Without knowing the experience/expertise of your students, I don't think anyone can comment if the diving is suitable for their ability

That said, my dives over 4 days around Menjangan Island saw almost zero current (although the guides selected the sites based on tidal exchange cycle). Overall very benign conditions, very good visibility, nice walls.

There can be strong currents in Menjangan at the tips of the island. Sites where this can be the case include Angkor, Eel Garden in the East and Bat Cave in the West. These are in my opinion the most interesting sites.

Pos 1, 2 and 3, South of Menjangan are more sheltered and definitely easy dive sites, but less fishy...

Hello,

I would echo that it's easy, wall diving with good viz. Mild current when I was there. Scenic, good snorkeling, small fish. The walls obviously require better buoyancy and depth monitoring from new divers than a shallow shore dive (like you could start with at,say, Tulamben, ). but except for that concern, very nice and easy. You could also maybe arrange first check-out beach dive at non wall spot at Menjangen or on nearby Bali.

Menjangen has a nice little rest temple and pier spot that has gentle sand slope and stuff to see but I didn't see them diving it. On Bali, I stayed at Taman Sari, Permutran, & they had a dive shop, good beach with totally easy dive/ snorkel access to a man-made coral area that was quite interesting.

You will probably be underwhelmed after R.A..

Last edited:
My wife and I did Manjangan as pretty inexperienced divers and had no experience of current on the sites we were on (with a diveguide). We enjoyed it and found it pretty straightforward. It is a bit of a hike to get them there tough - 5 hours from the airport. I wonder if they wouldn't find the wreck at Tulamben more fun and a bit closer to the airport.

Back
Top Bottom