Diving near Muskegon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the "State of Michigan" has a bouy marking it, Can I tie up to it use it for a decent line.
If the visibility is bad on the "Ironsides" at 120ft, will it also be bad on the "State of Michigan" at 50ft on the same day.
What currents are at the "Ironsides".
How often do divers go on these wrecks.

cnctina:
If the "State of Michigan" has a bouy marking it, Can I tie up to it use it for a decent line.
If the visibility is bad on the "Ironsides" at 120ft, will it also be bad on the "State of Michigan" at 50ft on the same day.
What currents are at the "Ironsides".
How often do divers go on these wrecks.

Just found out that there is no buoy on the "State of Michigan" right now. The owner of the LDS in Muskegon is having some trouble with his boat and has been unable to get out to the wreck. Visibility will always be hit or miss. One day you can go out and have 10-15ft, the next day it might be 30-40ft. It really depends on how calm the lake has been over the last few days prior to when you decide to dive.

Generally, the wrecks are not busy. Odds are that you will have them all to yourself.

Thanks Jeff,
When you dove on the State of Michigan did you go with Dan. Was it marked at that time.

cnctina:
Thanks Jeff,
When you dove on the State of Michigan did you go with Dan. Was it marked at that time.

No I didn't go with Dan, I went with another buddy a while ago, but it was marked. I was hoping Dan's boat would be ready because we had talked about running some charters out on Lake Michigan this summer. He had asked me if I wanted to be the divemaster, and I told him I would do it. I know he had some captains lined up for the summer too.

Ironsides is also hit or miss o fhte viz. e usually hook it with a wreck hook and on a calm day, go straight down like an elevator. Windy days require some scope.

It's not buoyed as far as I know. The numbers in my GPS are:

N 43 02.898 W 086 19.146

You should be able to locate it with a bottom finder with these numbers.

Oldpirate:
Ironsides is also hit or miss o fhte viz. e usually hook it with a wreck hook and on a calm day, go straight down like an elevator. Windy days require some scope.

It's not buoyed as far as I know. The numbers in my GPS are:

N 43 02.898 W 086 19.146

You should be able to locate it with a bottom finder with these numbers.

Thanks for the Info. Is your wreck hook a grappling hook? I would only go on a calm day. Danforth anchor, 7-1 scope X 120ft depth=940ft of line, a bit more than I have.
What water temps are you getting at depth if the lake is 70 at the beach?

Usually the Ironsides is 40-45 degrees at the bottom. I've used several different hooks, mostly "grappling" type. Mostly homemade.

We never had more than 300 feet of line on it. Again, on calm days, we sung up right atop the wreck and just parachute down. Blow and Go!

Thanks Craig, I think I'll wait on the Ironsides. I"m not sure if my thermal protection is up to the task. There is a dive shop in your area called Ocean Sands Scuba. Do you dive with them? They have some cool stuff there.

Back to you Jeff, I'm meeting friends in boats at the Muskegon State Park beach tomorrow. I punched in the numbers for the barge and it looks to be .3 miles off Pioneer Park beach. I'll buzz out there and try to find it on my new fish finder. I hope it works for finding wrecks cause I don't fish. I'll let ya know if I find it.
Who puts marker bouys on the wrecks, are they marked with a milk jug, or did it have a real moring on it? What would prevent someone like me from putting a real bouey on it?
Whats wrong with Dans boat?

cnctina:
Back to you Jeff, I'm meeting friends in boats at the Muskegon State Park beach tomorrow. I punched in the numbers for the barge and it looks to be .3 miles off Pioneer Park beach. I'll buzz out there and try to find it on my new fish finder. I hope it works for finding wrecks cause I don't fish. I'll let ya know if I find it.
Who puts marker bouys on the wrecks, are they marked with a milk jug, or did it have a real moring on it? What would prevent someone like me from putting a real bouey on it?
Whats wrong with Dans boat?

Dan usually puts a real bouy on it. If you get the chance to mark it, I am sure he would appreciate it. When I talked to him on Monday, he said he was having a problem with both of his outdrives. Both his engines seemed to be stuck in reverse.

Let me know how the conditions are, and how the dive went?

Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom