Diving Newfoundland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UncleScubaTrev:
should read south western newfoundland .... sorry
Wow! I've never head of any diving down that way. What are the conditions of the wrecks? What kind of ships and what are the depths?

jiveturkey:
Wow! I've never head of any diving down that way. What are the conditions of the wrecks? What kind of ships and what are the depths?
Greg, I've asked someone who has done alot of diving in this area to join scubaboard and answer these questions for you. He has some video of wreck diving in Burgeo as well. Hopefully he will reply soon.

I would like some more information one the other wrecks as well. I am hoping to head back up to NL the end of July next year(2006) depending on my layoff.. UnclescubaTrev, if you can have your friend foward some info to me too that would be great. Thanks

I tried to persuade my friend to provide some info about the burgeo wreck diving but he did not reply to the scubaboard discussion. Below is a link for his dive shop if you want to contact him directly.
www3.nf.sympatico.ca/prosport

Well, just generally, how is the diving on the west coast Trev? Is it similar to the east? Anything notable in particular?

jiveturkey:
Well, just generally, how is the diving on the west coast Trev? Is it similar to the east? Anything notable in particular?
If you are planning to fly to St John's then stay on the avalon and enjoy the diving there. If you are driving across the Island to reach St. John's, there are diving opportunities along the way to enjoy, but not worth making a special trip back from St John's. The dive community is fragmented off the avalon, group dives and the expoloration of dive sites are less common. Wreck diving on the west coast is very limited. There are options in Burgeo and possibly near Port Aux Basque....

I'm not limited to wreck diving. I'll be in Corner Brook at sometime over Xmas so I was hoping to get in the water if all goes well. I'm also hoping to get out to Bell Island too but I don't have any reason for going into town other than diving so it might be a little more difficult to do.

cont.
I dive 2 wooden wrecks in Frenchman's Cove near Corner Brook. 75 feet, 1 almost destroyed, the other in fairly good shape. I have a list of the wrecks in Bay of Islands and approximate locations but have only dove these 2 wrecks.. many are to close to the pollution of Corner Brook, and also the local dive community is sparse limiting the development of dive sites. White Bay is really deep, catches the Labrador current and (almost)always feel cold. Gros Morn National Park (Bonne Bay) has a 300 foot wall dive at Gad's Cove and has alot of beach entry places great for mussles (clean water) as well as good areas for scallop diving. Bay of Exploits is a great spot for boating from the Lewisporte marina, I have several dives in this area. Port Aux Port has a couple of nice dive locations if the weather cooperates. This area has alot of vegetation, more than I've seen on the Avalon, east and northwestern nfld. I suspect the Gulf Stream and Gulf of St lawrence may warm this area, i expect the south coast from Port Aux Basque to Burgeo must be alot like this. I have Dives in Lark Hr, York Hr, Bottle Cove all in Bay of Islands. Bottle Cove is the best, 40-45 foot wall with alot of life but a pain in the a.. to get to. I know of a WWII plane in the ocean and rumors of a german sub close by. I have seen artifacts from the plane and the same divers say the descended on the sub but no artifacts... concern for booby trapped explosive sub apparently. I hope this answers some of your questions Greg.
Trev

Wow! Sounds like a lot to see. A WWII plane?!!!!!?

My girlfriends parents have a cabin in Gros Morne and I've done some hiking around bottle cove. Now I'm even more excited about coming home. Thanks for the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom