Diving Speigel Grove in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all... A friend and I are going down to dive the Speigel Grove next month and I was just going to put this thread out there for comments. If you have gone and can give any advice, places on the wreck not worth seeing, what you were able to see, dive charters, etc. I would like to hear your comments.

We are thinking of using Ocean Divers unless someone persued me against them.

Thanks in advance.

As an additional question, can someone tell me how close the duane and bib (sorry if they are spelled wrong) wrecks are to the spiegel grove? Is it somewhere close. If you have some websites that provide this information I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Hey....I recognize that 24# hog! Charlestondivin' ...right?:)

Dave

He and I work together, hes my partner.... hes the Hog getter!!!!

That clears that up. I am on Spearboard as well. I am in Charleston quite often and would sure like to give that area a try with my speargun. I saw his 24# Hog and now I just have to. I usually fish Fla.
I do have about 20 dives in the Cooper. Got some really nice teeth. Got a 6" er back in late Mar right after all the rain.

Dave

I been on the Spiegel Grove 15 times. My experiences vary, but I've nevery had a bad dive.

If the current is strong, it can be a difficult dive.

I made 2 dives on the Spiegel Grove last Saturday. Very little current and the visibility was excellent. We made our first dive attached to a bouy near the stern. For the second dive the captin moved the boat to a bouy farther forward. My max depth for the dives was 84 fsw. However my average depth was about 60 fsw.

The Spiegel Grove lies on her starboard side. The port rail amidship is 50 to 60 fsw. There is a lot to see just crusing the port rail. The port screw is about 70 fsw.

The Duane and Bib are close by. I've been on the Duane several times. The Duane sits on her keel. The deck is about 100 fsw. Excellent dive. I've been told that trips to the Bib are rare. Not sure why.

Ocean Divers is an excellent operation.

Recently, I have been using Atlantis Divers. They are excellent.

Have a wonderful trip

Regards

I am also going to be in Key Largo in July doing the Grove.
We will be there 21st - 25th.
Doing a "deep" specialty class with Horizon Tue & Wed Morning.
I expect one or both days will be Grove or Duanne depending on currents etc.

Horizon can get you a room at the Best Western for $79/night.
That's a 1 bedroom townhose on the water, Bedroom/bath upstairs & LR/bath/Kitchen downstairs. Shaded parking under the building. Thats a much better deal than the Holiday Inn or Ramada.

Bluewater divers is also a great outfit to use. My wife will be doing her OW class with Brent that week.

What dates are you going?

DeanMartin,
Does OceanDivers run charters to the Duane as well? What kind of trip times does it take to each from OceanDivers port of call? Will they run the two wreck together or should you do them on seperate days?

Thanks for the help thus far.

We are probably coming down the weekend after the 4th. But we already got the hook up on reservations. My partner runs the Embassy Suites here in Charleston, so he has already made up FREE (cant beat that) arrangements at their hotel down there. His dad also is an flight wreckage investigator for the FAA so he's going to hook us up with excellent cheap, if not free, flights down there as well..... WOW FRIENDS ARE GREAT :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom