Diving: the future

What will be 'standard' equipment in 2030 (tick all that apply)?

• Rebreathers

Votes: 72 57.6%
  • Sidemounted tanks

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Long hoses

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • BP/W

Votes: 26 20.8%
  • Carbon fibre tanks

Votes: 26 20.8%
  • HUD dive computers

Votes: 49 39.2%
  • Wireless SPGs

Votes: 55 44.0%
  • DIN valves

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Helitrox

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • Underwater talking devices

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • Underwater GPS

Votes: 81 64.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's already like that is some places, Bob. I doubt it will ever get to "all," but it's certainly headed in that direction. Very, very sad.

I felt pretty sure it couldn't get worse than it is now, but you never know.

My real fear is that in twenty years time there'll be little point in going diving.

The human super-predator will have completed its decimation of the oceans. It's difficult to come up with reasons why this won't come to pass - a hell of a lot more predictable than what new diving apparatus will be taking hold. On that point, I'd be fairly surprised if much changes. I don't think rebreather uptake with change all that much. Too much hassle, too many moving parts, too much to go wrong. Think Windows Vista. No matter how noddy you make it it will still be prone to failure and most divers just won't have the dedication or time to deal with that.

HUDs I can see making real inroads. They solve several minor convenience issues.

Except for the bleached corals and the absence of marine life, the rest will stay broadly the same and man's inability to contain his appetite and therefore destroy his own life in tandem with all around him will undoubtedly continue unabated, nay accelerated.

(end of cheerful thought of the day)

J

I can't wait for miniature cold fusion reactors that inhabit the space of a few AAA batts, but produce double digit amperage to power my new prop driven thruster fins. (not to mention my cordless, 10 oz, 300 watt HID (or full spectrum LED), personal pontoon helicopter to access the remote site, etc.)

If I'm not an 80 year old free diver, I'll take a pair of those gyro assisted screw fins, a membrain hydrox full face mask and one of them one size perfect fit liquid polymer super insulating non buoyant wetsuits if they make them in black. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom