Diving the LYNX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I dove my new LYNX for the first time yesterday and thought I would post a quick report. I had not seen the manual yet but setting it up was pretty straight forward and now that I have seen the manual I did it correctly.

The transmitter is larger than my Oceanic and most others I have seen but I had no problem installing the it, by the way I use Aqualung Legend LX Supreme. I did notice after installing the transmitter I could wiggle it a little so I ask Eric and he informed me this was normal. At the dive site I turned it on and on the surface in bright sunlight I had a hard time seeing the display but once I submerged it was extremely bright even in very bad visibility, at one point I mucked up the vis to probably zero and had no issues seeing the display. I ask my buddy to let me know what he could see and he was impressed that although he could barely make me out he could see the LYNX. I was also using my Datamask and compared the information both delivered and they were very close on everything but dive time remaining where the Datamask constantly gave me about a 10 to 15 minutes longer dive time but after reading the manual the Lynx calculates "Air Time" with a low point of 700 psi where I have my Oceanic computers set to 400 psi, this might be be the difference and I wish this was user changeable. I tried the compass and it worked nicely but I have old eyes and wish it was a little larger, the dive info was nice but maybe have an option without that so the compass is larger. The tap system instead of buttons works great but I admit I have dove Liquivision computers before. I waited a while to buy a new computer because I wanted OLED and air integration along with some tec abiliyies if I wanted to use them and I really like this computer. I am looking forward to trying a locator transmitter for diving unknown areas.

Things I would like to see are the ability to decide the low air from 700 psi to what I want, a larger compass and maybe the ability to change some display information and color's. I do have a concern and that is the robustness of the transmitter, removing it after each use just doesn't seem probable and in when diving from small boat (like panga's / sixpacks) there is very little room and gear can get banged around but I will find out.
After two dives I can report I am happy I bought it.

[video=youtube;wm7w3drhY4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm7w3drhY4k&list=UUJVpKrueGzpmElZ-ETGxhsg&index=1[/video] reg.jpg

I raised the issue of transmitter size and durability after we dove them, and was assured that it's not nearly as fragile as it looks.

I also raised the question of a more user-configurable display, and I believe they are working on that, and it may come with a software update later.

I too had a chance to dive with the Lynx and I'm very impressed with the display. I also noticed the transmitter moved a little in it's housing and was concerned, thanks getting a response. I know some of the Oceanic transmitters have a little "play" and wasn't overly concerned. The navigation underwater is easy to use and surprisingly intuitive. I love the color display and how the information is laid out. One observation is the post-dive graphs (N2 loading, Depth, Temp, etc..) are a little blocky looking and need a little work. Also, I'm having issues uploading my dives using Dive log 2.09 on Mountain Lion. As soon as communications begin between the computer and mac, the application crashes. Not a big deal, I plan on installing the PC version and giving it a try there.
All-in-all - I'm very pleased with the computer and can't wait to explore more features. Keep up the good work LV!!!!!

I too had a chance to dive with the Lynx and I'm very impressed with the display. I also noticed the transmitter moved a little in it's housing and was concerned, thanks getting a response. I know some of the Oceanic transmitters have a little "play" and wasn't overly concerned. The navigation underwater is easy to use and surprisingly intuitive. I love the color display and how the information is laid out. One observation is the post-dive graphs (N2 loading, Depth, Temp, etc..) are a little blocky looking and need a little work. Also, I'm having issues uploading my dives using Dive log 2.09 on Mountain Lion. As soon as communications begin between the computer and mac, the application crashes. Not a big deal, I plan on installing the PC version and giving it a try there.
All-in-all - I'm very pleased with the computer and can't wait to explore more features. Keep up the good work LV!!!!!

You need to use Liquivision Dive Logger v3 or higher with the Lynx. It should be available for download imminently.

Eric Fattah

I took my new lynx out for its maiden voyage yesterday. I went to the North Park on Canyon Lake in central Texas. Viz was about 5 feet.

Overall I was very impressed and happy that I got the unit.
Pros:
- Configuration was easy.
- Easy to see under water.
- Have the tank change colors based on its level is great.
- The safety stop messages are very clear.

Cons:
- As stated above, I could not see the screen on the surface. I knew it worked, ultimately I had to put it under a hat so I could read that I turned it on. I hope this gets addressed so I can use the pre-dive check before getting in the water, or having to hold a hat over it.
- The PSI values were not listed in the dive log. I was told that the next firmware revision will have this corrected.
- I have the same issue with the mac software not syncing. This is supposed to be coming this week.
- The transmitter with the play in it seems fragile. I'll take Liquivision's word that it is more durable than it seems.

I did not play with the compass or other settings under water. I'll save that for another dive.

I can't wait to use this in Bonaire.

Thanks for the user-reviews!

Two shiny new Lynxes arrived for my husband and I today and I am very excited to try them out. We have been waiting for these for a while. Unfortunately it will be in water temps of 39 F, rather than in the warmer waters of Bonaire. :(

ETA: my props to Liquivision for the Lynx user manual. Weird thing to be excited about but I appreciate a well written manual! Plus, I like the reference to the "one beer learning curve.", eh? That was pretty accurate for me! :D

Last edited:
I also dove my Lynx for the first time on Sunday. I am a new diver, so my comments need to be viewed through that filter. I thought it was awesome, but agree that the initial surface mode screen was not readable indirect sunlight. I imagine green was chosen because it uses less battery than other colors. How about a "left" tap to change the font to "cyan" and then another left tap to change back to green? Cyan seems much more readable than green in the sun.

i would prefer the display stay in dive mode for 2-3 minutes after surfacing. Maybe user selectable in "preferences" or it doesn't switch until you have reached the selected "surface interval." Why do I need to be in surface mode immediately? I would rather still have mine and my buddy's air remaining displaying in case I want to go back down again for a few minutes. I know that I should already know my pressure because I was looking at it during the ascent/safety stop, but frankly, I was paying more atention to my depth and ascent rate.

Overall, I was thrilled with it. Glad I waited.

i would prefer the display stay in dive mode for 2-3 minutes after surfacing. Maybe user selectable in "preferences" or it doesn't switch until you have reached the selected "surface interval." Why do I need to be in surface mode immediately? I would rather still have mine and my buddy's air remaining displaying in case I want to go back down again for a few minutes.
Overall, I was thrilled with it. Glad I waited.

This is a good suggestion. You will lose your buddy's signal as soon as you reach the surface (since his transmitter will be in the air, rather than in the water, and the range in air is only around 3 feet vs. 330ft underwater), but the Lynx could still display the last pressure it read underwater. We'll add it for a future software revision.

Eric Fattah

To add my experience...

I have four dives with my Lynx. The transmitter fit well on my ScubaPro Mk25 without any clearance issues with LP hoses. I also had some very slight "play" in the transmitter housing, but it didn't seem to impact functionality.

I did experience challenges with screen readability in direct sunlight. Underwater the display was gorgeous.

All features and functions worked as promised and I'm 100% happy with the the unit thus far. I also dove with a Suunto Zoop for comparison and they were very close in readings through all dives. I'm looking forward to the dedicated location transmitter to be released!

Some video below with quick glimpses of the Lynx in action. Note that the screen flickering wasn't visible and is an artifact of the GoPro capture.

Diving West Palm Beach - Day 2 - YouTube
Diving West Palm Beach - Day 1 - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom