Diving the LYNX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just saw this post and thought I'd add my thoughts and keep the conversation going.

I recently purchased 2 Lynx kits (one for myself and partner). We've had a chance to dive the Lynx for about 9 dives so far and have created a quick list of pros & cons.

PROS

1. Compact.
2. Air Integrated OLED making it easy to read in low light conditions and nothing has to dangle off of you.
3. Unit allows to view buddy's air and buddy location. -- > See additional note below.
4. Software improvements / upgrades via download. (Eric F. (Liquivision) mentioned this above regarding side mount update. What else will be released with this next update and when?)
5. Graphical interface has nice visual queues. i.e. color tank indicator, ascent / descent rate arrow, N2 buildup etc.
6. Boat Locator - which is TBD.
7. Tap menu navigation
8. Safety Stop time remaining in minutes / seconds.
Note: Buddy locator is a cool feature, but not super useful for the average diver. According to PADI, if you can't find your buddy after a minute each diver is supposed to surface anyway.
Another item of note is that you cannot currently change font color with the Lynx. Option has been disabled per Liquivision due to signal reliability / interference with high color customization.

CONS

1. Some of the smaller text can be hard to read for some.
2. Locator feature only gets you in the vicinity at around 20 ft. or so. Doesn't give you depth. If visibility is bad finding the locator could still be an issue.
3. Overall readability isn't that great during the day both on the surface or in relatively shallow waters. The screen gets very washed out. The solution is to cover it with your hand, but this poses an issue underwater by potentially
interfering with the locator signal.

4. Location transmitter doesn't come out for at least another month to two according to Liquivision and it's an additional $500 bucks when it does.
5. When waking up the unit on the surface sometimes it won't turn on right away. You have to leave it alone for a few minutes and then try it again. Same issue happened and or is happening with the Kaon. Not sure why this hasn't
been fixed yet?
6. Overall per unit cost with air integration = $1400. $1900. if you also get the additional and eventual release of the location transmitter.
(Location transmitter cost could be split between two users which would still make the cost $1650. per unit.)

I'm interested in reading more about what other divers reviews are. Hopefully this is useful.

Last edited:
I have now done 10 dives with my Lynx, all in the Philippines. Warm tropical diving (86F, 30C), moderate to good visibility (50-100 ft, 15-30 m). Here are my thoughts, some of which are repeats of what others have said.

“Chirp” from the transmitter is very audible, which surprised me. It’s now background noise, I barely notice it.

Incorporating a way to change font size for certain items would be nice. For example, I would prefer my psi to be a larger font size, and my dive time a smaller font size. I would suspect that each person would have his/her own preference for what to emphasize.

The wiggling and slight rotating of the T1 worries me, especially when I am hand-tightening/loosening it.

A “Favorites” menu could be useful so I could add and easily access the three or four things I routinely use.

The black buttons on the computer scream “push me” even tough the manual clearly states to leave them alone. Put a red X or a skull or a Mr Ick on them. And maybe put a bulls-eye on the proper places to tap. I wonder if I can find stickers?

I’ve read what a couple people wrote regarding a short high pressure hose for the T1, to keep it out of harm’s way. Where is a good place to find such a hose?

Bottom line: I am extremely pleased with my Lynx! I'm looking forward to the location transmitter's availability.

The manual says the Lynx runs Buhlmann ZH-L16C with one of three pre-set GFs, 100/100, 30/85, or 30/75.

That is when you dive the Lynx in Tec mode. In Rec mode the algorithm also uses ZHL-16C but is optimized for dives within the NDL's and reduction factors are applied post dive to account for the short surface intervals common in recreational diving. In this mode you get results similar to other recreational computers. You can select between Rec and Tec mode. Diver's choice.

Brian

Just saw this post and thought I'd add my thoughts and keep the conversation going.

CONS

1. Some of the smaller text can be hard to read for some.
3. Overall readability isn't that great during the day both on the surface or in relatively shallow waters. The screen gets very washed out. The solution is to cover it with your hand, but this poses an issue underwater by potentially
interfering with the locator signal.

5. When waking up the unit on the surface sometimes it won't turn on right away. You have to leave it alone for a few minutes and then try it again. Same issue happened and or is happening with the Kaon. Not sure why this hasn't
been fixed yet?

I'm interested in reading more about what other divers reviews are. Hopefully this is useful.

I have now done 10 dives with my Lynx, all in the Philippines. Warm tropical diving (86F, 30C), moderate to good visibility (50-100 ft, 15-30 m). Here are my thoughts, some of which are repeats of what others have said.

“Chirp” from the transmitter is very audible, which surprised me. It’s now background noise, I barely notice it.

The wiggling and slight rotating of the T1 worries me, especially when I am hand-tightening/loosening it.

I've gotten 6 dives on my Lynx and so far have been fairly pleased.

I agree with most everyone's "PROS".

My "CONS"
  • Like mj3dvfx and others have noted, waking up the unit on the surface was concerning after the first couple of times using the unit. I initially thought it was a more serious problem.
  • The wiggle was a concern but after hearing from Ryan @ Liquivision and everyone on here, it appears to be working as designed. I like the option of the 6" hose and may need to invest in one.
  • The 'chirp' from the transmitter also threw me off the first few dives. By the 6th dive, I barely noticed it.
  • I know there was some talk about the ultrasonic sonar before the Lynx was released, but I just want to be sure. Should we be concerned about the ultrasonic sonar? I ask because during one of our dives in Belize, I had a couple of nurse sharks that wouldn't leave me alone. I had to push them away multiple times. Of course they could have been looking for a free hand out.
  • Another concern I have is the o-ring around the battery compartment on the Lynx. There is some play in it. My LDS said another company was using a similar setup on their dive lights and when taken deeper than 100+ ft, the o-ring no longer properly sealed the battery compartment. The deepest I went was 85ft.
  • That said, during one of my 6 dives, the battery compartment in the Lynx got some water in it. Not a lot, but enough that a few drips came out when I opened it and corrosion had started forming on the battery leads. The battery that was in the Lynx was fine at that time but has since died.
  • Only other issue I had was during my 5th dive with the Lynx. I did the Pre-Dive check and the Lynx and T1 synced up correctly. Once in the water, the Lynx and the T1 did not communicate. I had an analog air gauge so I continued my dive. Back on the surface, I changed the battery on my T1 and it worked as designed for the second dive.
  • Later that evening is when i discovered the water in my Lynx as i decided to check the battery level of the original T1 battery. It was actually still full so I have no idea why it didn't work during my first dive that day.

Currently my Lynx is back at Liquivision getting the once over for the leak. Hopefully I will have it or another one in my hands soon so I can go dive the Lynx some more.

I have been diving my new Lynx all this week in Bonaire. I also agree with all the Pros that everyone is talking about...My T1 swivels a small bit, but I understand that this is normal. The OLED is great provided you are not in direct sunlight or at the surface. I've done a few dives below the 100 ft mark this week and not issues with the O-rings. :)

I too would love to see some some items that were mentioned here.
1. Adjustable Font Size/Color would be great for the direct sunlight times
2. Being able to adjust the ATR calculations so that it matches say...another computer would be great
3. FWIW - Access to the manuals, divelogger/updater programs should be fixed - I get an error 404 Page Not Found so I have yet to play with downloading my dives

Looking forward to future iterations of the software...So far....Very pleased

I just wanted to say I really like the new software update, especially the changes to the Ready to Dive screen (incl. showing air pressure, time to fly, etc) and the removal of the delayed wake-up or whatever it was that left me tapping several times to wake it up! That update seems to address a few of the "cons" listed further upthread.

My husband (dive buddy) and I have also been using the Buddy Air, and tried out the Buddy Locator a couple times (in controlled circumstances rather than out of necessity since we do stick close together) and both seem to work well. The Buddy Air seems to be very accurate so far.

We did change both our computers to a "fast" refresh rate. The flicker did not bother me, but my husband was very sensitive to it on both his computer and my computer.

I'm very intrested by the Lynx, but concerned by one of the CONs: the poor vision on the surface under bright sun. I dive in the Gulf region with always a bright sun and a lot of luminosoty (yes I know it's frustating with a water temperature of 37C at 30m)... So I would like to be able to read my computer screen on the boat and adjust/change parameters without having to hide below something. Is the new software release adress this issue or is Liquivision working on a solution?

Wow! Can't believe it's already December.

Found this post again and wanted to write up a quick update.

Qasar - Did you ever up buying the Lynx? Since your last post Liquivision has had a couple of software updates that addressed a lot of my original CONs and specifically your question about screen readability.

REVISED CONS

1. Adjusting the time attribute is a pain. I've calibrated it three or four times following the manual precisely and it still will not keep the correct time.
2. Lost signal. This was never an issue with my Suunto Vyper Air or Galileo Luna. Liquivision says that the "transmitter will work remarkably well even in a totally random mounting". This really isn't true. The positioning / orientation of the Transmitter on the 1st Stage has to be exactly right or the signal will not work properly. The proper mounting has to be above the shoulder, pointing vertically and at least 3 inches away from the divers body. Now unless you completely twist your first stage to accommodate the transmitter and get it to an "upright" position an adapter will be needed. The adapter needed will cost an additional $60 to $100! My question is that if this transmitter is so finicky and has to be in a certain orientation in order to get proper signal than why isn't Liquivision supplying the adapter?

Note: According to the manual the transmitter works "best" when it's mounted to the 1st stage in the upright / vertical position. See page 25, 26 and 144. https://liquivision.com/docs/Lynx_User_Manual.pdf

3. Some of the smaller text can be hard to read for some - still an issue.
4. Locator feature only gets you in the vicinity at around 20 ft. or so. Would be fantastic if it gave approx. location depth as well.
5. Location transmitter is still not available and there hasn't been a real release date for the foreseeable future.
6. Overall per unit cost with air integration = $1400. $1900. if you also get the additional and eventual release of the location transmitter.
(Location transmitter cost could be split between two users which would still make the cost $1650. per unit.) For the price these things should be flawless and just work.
7. Sensors on wrist unit have to be totally unobstructed in order to get proper transmitter signal. If you're wearing a drysuit and have say SiTech Antares Rings on, plan to wear the Lynx wrist unit on your forearm. See page 107 & 108. https://liquivision.com/docs/Lynx_User_Manual.pdf

Another item of note. My GF has had to have her wrist unit replaced once and her transmitter replaced. Wrist unit stopped turning on after about 5 dives or so and the transmitter was found to have a hairline crack that caused to unit to flood. Cause = unknown. I've had my transmitter replaced once already for the same reason and am about to bring it in again to have it assessed for loss of signal. On the surface I get signal. At depth, no signal.

Makes me wonder if anyone else is or has had issues with their Lynx.

Last edited:
Wow! Can't believe it's already December.

Found this post again and wanted to write up a quick update.

Makes me wonder if anyone else is or has had issues with their Lynx.

I have 100 or more dives on mine with several of them below 100' and I have not had any real issues like not linking up and so on. I did find one drop of water in my wrist battery compartment once, I put a new oring on it just in case.

Liquivision says that the "transmitter will work remarkably well even in a totally random mounting". This really isn't true. The positioning / orientation of the Transmitter on the 1st stage has to be exactly right or the signal will not work properly.

7. Sensors on wrist unit have to be totally unobstructed in order to get proper transmitter signal.

Some comments:
- The transmitter works great in any random mounting, regarding monitoring your own transmitter. If you find that your particular transmitter does not work in a random mounting, then there is something wrong with the transmitter. Mounting of the transmitter does have some impact on your buddy's ability to get your signal from 100m away, but it virtually no relevance getting your own signal. The ultrasonic signal from your own transmitter is deafening loud at short range (subjectively speaking) as far as the Lynx wrist unit is concerned.
- The sensors on the wrist unit do not have to be unobstructed to get a signal from your transmitter. Again, the signal from your own transmitter is immensely strong. However obstructing the wrist unit sensors *will* affect your ability to read your buddy's signal from a long distance away.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom