Diving the LYNX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some video below with quick glimpses of the Lynx in action. Note that the screen flickering wasn't visible and is an artifact of the GoPro capture.

I would like to add that in the Lynx menus, you can change the screen refresh rate to 'fast'. This slightly decreases battery life, but will prevent artifact flickering when taking videos of the product underwater.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

I did notice after installing the transmitter I could wiggle it a little so I ask Eric and he informed me this was normal.

I do have a concern and that is the robustness of the transmitter, removing it after each use just doesn't seem probable and in when diving from small boat (like panga's / sixpacks) there is very little room and gear can get banged around but I will find out.

I also noticed the transmitter moved a little in it's housing and was concerned, thanks getting a response. I know some of the Oceanic transmitters have a little "play" and wasn't overly concerned.

- The transmitter with the play in it seems fragile. I'll take Liquivision's word that it is more durable than it seems.

I'm watching this with interest since I have been considering a Lynx for a while.

I have been using a UEMIS Zurich for a couple of years and I am sad that they went bust, I have been hoping that another manufacturer would replicate the key features that attracted me to it.
None of the other OLED computers were air integrated (except the Cobalt and I don't like consoles).

So, now I am really excited about the Lynx.

Anyway the point of my post is this:
Those of you who are worried about the resilience of transmitter should think on this story: I was in Egypt on a RhIB dive and when I returned to the boat the very helpful chap in the boat pulled my entire rig out the water using the transmitter as a handle.
I got a little over-excited about that.

Anyway the first thing I did on my return was to have my local mechanic fit the transmitter to a short HP hose.
I have no worries about it at all now.

Nobody would pull a rig out of the water by a hose, it gives the transmitter some "give" if it takes a knock and it means that I can tuck the transmitter between the tank and backplate while it is on a boat.
Works for me.

Anyway, a question for Eric:

What are the chances of a "sidemount/independent twins" mode and package?
A computer that comes with two transmitters.
A mode that calculates your bottom time based on the contents of both cylinders (with a reserve in both) and perhaps prompts you to change regs at user programmable intervals.

Perhaps a bit niche but I'm sure some people would be interested in it.

I don't think you want to tuck the Lynx transmitter into your gear like that. We were counseled to avoid putting the transmitter where it would be blocked by the diver's body or the equipment. Since the transmission is sonic, it can't go through objects.

I don't think you want to tuck the Lynx transmitter into your gear like that. We were counseled to avoid putting the transmitter where it would be blocked by the diver's body or the equipment. Since the transmission is sonic, it can't go through objects.
I have put my Lynx transmitters on a 6" HP hose with an air spool. I started doing this after my transmitter took a beating on a boat in rough seas. As the scuba unit was getting bounced around the transmitter was banging against a railing. The transmitter handled it just fine but this is not something I want to see done on a regular basis.

When the tank is on the hose tends to stick straight out and stays above my shoulder. I have not noticed any signal degradation but if it does get wedged down below my shoulder that could definitely happen. When it's off I can tuck the transmitter down next to my wing.

Brian

No, I wouldn't in the water. In fact it is attached with a breakaway tab to the LP hose to my reg so in the water is actually starts to come over my shoulder closer to the computer.
I just put it there on boats to keep it out of harm's way.

As I mentioned in another thread, we will be releasing a software update with 'sidemount mode', two tank icons, two transmitters, which calculates air time based on both tanks. Sidemount is popular enough now to justify it. For now sidemount divers can use one transmitter as their 'own' transmitter and the other tank's transmitter is set to the 'buddy' transmitter so they can see both PSI values at the same time.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

As I mentioned in another thread, we will be releasing a software update with 'sidemount mode', two tank icons, two transmitters, which calculates air time based on both tanks. Sidemount is popular enough now to justify it. For now sidemount divers can use one transmitter as their 'own' transmitter and the other tank's transmitter is set to the 'buddy' transmitter so they can see both PSI values at the same time.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

My wife and my buddy aren't going to be happy about that...

I predict she will be unhappy about me spending more money and he will unhappy that I make him buy one too.

Thank you for the quick answer, I hadn't seen that post.
I had a quick search and if anyone else is interested it is here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/liquivision/443560-lynx-shipping-status-12.html#post6740768

How conservative is the Lynx algorithm? Is it user adjustable? Thanks!

The manual says the Lynx runs Buhlmann ZH-L16C with one of three pre-set GFs, 100/100, 30/85, or 30/75.

---------- Post added May 27th, 2013 at 03:00 PM ----------

The manual says the Lynx runs Buhlmann ZH-L16C with one of three pre-set GFs, 100/100, 30/85, or 30/75.

Ugh. Thank you and that was the final straw. I now must have it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom