Diving the LYNX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Eric. Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.

I have another question about the T1 alignment. According to the manual (if I'm reading it correctly) the "best" position / alignment for the Transmitter would be upright or vertical. This would especially be true or optimal for sending a signal over longer distances. i.e. 100m. If so how do you propose I get the transmitter to mount on my first stage in a vertical position? I've looked at the images in the manual regarding proper positioning, but unless I mount my first stage off kilter (sideways) the only other option would be to buy some sort of adapter. That's an extra $50 - $100 on top of the cost of the unit itself just to be able to send a proper signal. Would you say that this is correct?

My other question is in regards to kelp. When the T1 is in the vertical position wouldn't this become a hook of sorts when moving through kelp? It also would seem to be in a prime position for me to bump it with my head.

Hey Eric. Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.

I have another question about the T1 alignment. According to the manual (if I'm reading it correctly) the "best" position / alignment for the Transmitter would be upright or vertical. This would especially be true or optimal for sending a signal over longer distances. i.e. 100m. If so how do you propose I get the transmitter to mount on my first stage in a vertical position? I've looked at the images in the manual regarding proper positioning, but unless I mount my first stage off kilter (sideways) the only other option would be to buy some sort of adapter. That's an extra $50 - $100 on top of the cost of the unit itself just to be able to send a proper signal. Would you say that this is correct?

My other question is in regards to kelp. When the T1 is in the vertical position wouldn't this become a hook of sorts when moving through kelp? It also would seem to be in a prime position for me to bump it with my head.

i'm not trying to be a ahole but you seem determined to find an argument, maybe the LYNX just isn't right for you.

Does it really need to be mounted vertically? If not, there's no problem. If so, I don't see how that's workable given the HP port placement on most 1st stages. And it's not like it's a short transmitter...that thing would be pretty far out there if you turned your 1st stage sideways and screwed it into the up-facing HP port.

Paulw - No worries. You might be right. I do, however, have two of them already. I'm really not trying to bash these guys. There customer service has been excellent and the Lynx is a very cool dive computer. I will say however, that after spending a little over $3k on two dive computers and having to return one due to it suddenly not turning on (after 2 dives) and as of this afternoon returning 3 transmitters I think there is some room for question(s). I'm certainly not looking for an argument. Apologies if it seems that way. I just have questions about items found in the Liquivision manual. Some things don't make sense to me and I'd just like to find out how to get the most out of my top notch computers.

Dr. Lecter - Agreed. That's what I'd like to find out. That's what it shows in the manual so it makes me wonder.

Paulw - No worries. You might be right. I do, however, have two of them already. I'm really not trying to bash these guys. There customer service has been excellent and the Lynx is a very cool dive computer. I will say however, that after spending a little over $3k on two dive computers and having to return one due to it suddenly not turning on (after 2 dives) and as of this afternoon returning 3 transmitters I think there is some room for question(s). I'm certainly not looking for an argument. Apologies if it seems that way. I just have questions about items found in the Liquivision manual. Some things don't make sense to me and I'd just like to find out how to get the most out of my top notch computers.

Dr. Lecter - Agreed. That's what I'd like to find out. That's what it shows in the manual so it makes me wonder.

Fair enough they are expensive and we should be able to use it to its fullest.

If you use a 1st stage like the Mares 12S, then the transmitter can be mounted in a generally vertical position. If you mount your tank such that the transmitter is above your shoulder, you get nearly omnidirectional transmission to your buddy. If your transmitter is mounted horizontally, even below your shoulder (not ideal), your buddy can still receive your signal from 100m away, but only if your buddy is in a 180 degree field from behind you because you shadow the transmitter with your body. If you are swimming around it is likely that your body orientation will change, and the shadows will reposition. My point is that signal integrity from long distance is improved by orientation. But if you choose to use a non-ideal orientation, and you get far separated, then don't point your body in the same position all the time, but rather rotate once in a while to move shadows.

Using an HP hose is also not ideal, though it will still generally work.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom