Diving the Rothesay in Winter with 50+ Foot Vis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Ted,

Actually there is nothing really special about getting into the water in winter other than common sense. Check the area and make sure you its not super icy and make sure you have a safe way to get in the water. On the dive for the video we had to move a big chunk of ice to allow us safe access to get into the water without having to try and scramble over ice.

If there is no good/safe access to the water then choose a different dive site.

I generally try to avoid the river once the water reaches 32F as all your gear is just too likely to fail at those temperatures. For us the water was above freezing so less chance of reg and inflator failures.

Mat.

Last edited:
Can I add that you better unplug your bc and drysuit and loosen up your boot laces before you get out of the water and unzip the drysuit as soon as you get out of the water if you do not want to sit in the car until it melts ;-)

Can I add that you better unplug your bc and drysuit and loosen up your boot laces before you get out of the water and unzip the drysuit as soon as you get out of the water if you do not want to sit in the car until it melts ;-)

Always good advice in cold water...

Mat.

Gents, I commend you all. I openly admit to being a warm water wuss. Part of diving for me is feeling the water on my skin and that won't be happening at 35F and ice floating around. I'm looking to Little Cayman in October, the Philippines in November, and warm sand and palm trees between now and October!

Dive safe...!

i hear theres some good diving in the philipines
need more research thats a longbtrip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom