Diving Uncertified !!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It started with fully mustached girls, and it goes on here. Cheers syrus!

Let me make a last point, before leaving the subject:
-The diference between instructors and other divers is suposed to be one and only: instructors are suposed to know how to teach scuba. It includes being a good diver. I dont belive that bad divers should be instructors. It also include a certain kind of sight that instructors develop along time, to detect trouble. It includes being able to supervise while being on top of things. It includes a lot of others issues. I had some dives (about 300) when I became an instructor, and still, my whole view of diving changed when I became one. There are simply several aspects that you dont pay any attention to untill you've instructed a couple of courses, and lived in a diving center for some time. School teachers also have to get certified, but hell, I can teach better than half the teachers I had. It still dosen't make me a teacher.

P.S-
uwsince79- I wrote it to spidertek, not you. I used the 300 dives, becouse it's about the amount I started with and becouse you already used the number. I totaly agree with you on that point.

Hi Bob

So...(smile) you really did open a can of worms. After reading all the replies what have you decided to do? Are you going to take him diving, and if so what are the plans after that, if he really like it.

Lets face it who wouldn't. I'm interested to see what happens here so please keep all of us posted of his progress.

Good luck.

Hocky

We've been diving several times....I was just interested in the responses that I would receive from everyone...He will be getting certified (probably SSI) even if I have to pay for it...most of the people had very good input, although some were just trashing me for their lack of self confidence (I guess). It has been really interesting and the amount of responses even surprised me...a very touchy subject....

Wish your son luck for whatever course he decides to do for me!

Bobb,
I'm really sorry if I said anything you may have taken bad. It's just that Spydertek really annoyed me with the things he said, and got me upset.

You seem like a nice fellow that puts in some good questions, and I'm happy to take part in the discussions you started.

Spydertek-If you'r out there, I still want an answer for my last messages.

Liquid, Sorry, didnt realise you were waiting on me. Thought you and Syrus pretty much klilled the thread as getting too heated...Give me a few to scroll back and re-read...

ST

----

Ok, ermmm, well after re-reading...I'm still not sure what you are waiting on from me. Can you be a little more specific?

I was very pleasantly surprised to see that you responded nicely (I might even go so far as to say apologetically) in your follow up. This alone increased my respect for you in particular and re-enforced my opinion that SCUBA people in general are nicer, more educated, and a better over all class of people.

I still think you over value "instructor learning" over "self learning" as a general principle instead of a case by case basis but at least you do it with reason and criteria.

As for the insurance thing...No medical procedure costs anything. You can not be refused emergency treatment because you don't have insurance. Nor do you have to pay for treatment if you don't have the money. That is at least in the USA. And most other countries I've been to medicine is socialized and doesn't cost anything either. So, the insurance issue is a moot point.

We are in agreement on the Resort Dive issue and was surprised to read the rules on such where you are located. I think that is a great thing and now I'm more educated on it to boot. :)

I think the summary given by you and Syruss to "close" the thread as it were was accurate and well surmised.

Am I missing something else?

SpyderTek

P.S. Oh, and one last thing, I'd like to point out that my personal E-mail box was flooded with at least 25 e-mails from people on this subject telling me how they agreed with me to one extent or another but were uncomfortable posting publicly their feelings on the issue. I did not recieve a single E-mail indicating a disagreement. Just a little bit of interesting information there.

Back
Top Bottom