Diving while wearing contact lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So does nobody who dives with contacts ope their eyes without a mask on underwater? Are you likely to lose the lens if you do, or is it just possible?
Thanks, Stas

In a real life situation, just forget the lenses. There are more important things to worry about. Even when losing a prescription mask, you are left without eye correction. I did the drills with my eyes closed with no problem and don't expect to have any problems if real life situation occurs. With occasional mask seepage I am used to getting a little salt of fresh water in my eyes with no bad effects. On situations where I do flood a mask or get water in my eyes. I remove and rinse my lenses during SI and put them back in. Knock on wood but, 93 dives without losing or damaging a lens. Tell her good luck with training.:14:
Tom Sutton

Problem is when you find the mask, put it back on, clear it, then realize your lenses are gone you cant see. Why bother with the added risk, just get a mask with a prescription in it if your vision is really bad?

I have fixed the problem, I wear "Daylies", throw away contacts that you wear once. No fear of loosing them because they cost about $2.50 - $3,00 a pair. Much simpler and cheaper solution than buying a prescription mask witch would be turned into an expensive coaster if she does not stay with the sport.

Once in cavern training I opened my eyes for 5 minutes and the contacts stayed in place, they remain there if you don't start blinking repeatedly, have to say it was fresh water.

What's the best way to obtain a prescription mask? Buy one that fits and send it to the optical shop or buy from the optical shop? My gut tells me that my wife should buy a mask with the proper fit and send it to the shop.

How bad is her vision, Divoptic are like $40, will fit most masks. Prescription mask are a lot more pricey. If she need a prescription, I would just bring a mask that fits her properly and can be fitted with a prescription lenses to an optical shop. That way you get the proper lenses alignment.

So does nobody who dives with contacts ope their eyes without a mask on underwater? Are you likely to lose the lens if you do, or is it just possible?
Thanks, Stas

I have had students lose a lense and sometimes both. If you lose only one lense its only an inconvenience. You can still see. Lose both and now it is a source of panic. You make the call but, the way I see it if you can eliminate a problem before it is a problem than why take the chance. BTW I am as blind as a bat and wont be caught dead without my prescription mask.

Good answer! By the way, what is SI? You wrote:
"I remove and rinse my lenses during SI"

Thanks, Stas

I did in saltwater and lost a lens. If you do not move maybe it will stay inplace, but if you have to look for your mask and moving around. It is very likely you will lose a lens or two. So I went with the divoptic because my vision is not that bad. 40 bucks, just went to my eye doctor found the rating of my glasses and brought a pair of divoptic at LP.

I have fixed the problem, I wear "Daylies", throw away contacts that you wear once. No fear of loosing them because they cost about $2.50 - $3,00 a pair. Much simpler and cheaper solution than buying a prescription mask witch would be turned into an expensive coaster if she does not stay with the sport.

Once in cavern training I opened my eyes for 5 minutes and the contacts stayed in place, they remain there if you don't start blinking repeatedly, have to say it was fresh water.

I found the same solution. I wear the disposable "Dailies", only mine was a little over $0.50 a pair at Walmart, when purchased in a 90 day supply. I have only lost one contact diving and that was a month ago. I got kicked in the face. My mask didn't come off, but the contact popped out and was stuck to my mask lens. If you squint when in the water without a mask, it reduces the chance of the contact washing out. During my OW cert dives, I just asked my instructor to let me do the mask removal and clearing as the last thing I did before getting out of the water. I use contacts for reading. During a dive, if I was to lose my lenses, I'm not blind, but I would call my dive. I would not be able to read my gauges accurately, so I would have to get another pair in. :coffee:

I'd like to share my personal experience, I have worn contacts on about 395 dives. I like a loose fitting mask and I clear often. I can recall having a contact lens come "unseated" 3 or 4 times and only once has a lens come off my eye entirely. So, relax, mask clearing is no big deal, get comfortable with it, do it often.

Lately, I'm using the disposable daily lenses. I'm often diving in an aquarium. My optomitrist reccomended the change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom