Diving with a GOPRO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I simply use the supplied headband and wear a hood over it. Turn it on before you jump in and forget about it!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I cave and wreck dive - and prefer to keep my hands free while taking video.

I use the head mount over the hood, but I put the neoprene mask strap (i.e. slap strap) over the head mount strap to fix the head mount straps in place. I also have a "leash" ( a bit of bungee zip tied to the back of the mount with a small Bolt Snap at the other end) that I run down to my D-ring as a backup attachment point. (My buddy has lost two of these.)

You'll want to angle the camera down a bit to get a POV video - otherwise it will tend to focus above where your eyes are looking. Also - when swimming with the current - the exhaust from your regulator may bubble up through the field of vision. But generally this doesn't happen when swimming against the current.

I've gotten some good video this way. And it's a great kit for $400. Taken it down to 250 ffw - with no floods. I've also taken 80 minutes of video in 38 degree water with a single battery. Decent video in low light too. ( But you may want to shoot in a lower resolution to get better light sensitivity.)

Good luck

Bjorn

I really don't understand the suggestion to not carry a "hands free" camera that is constantly running. We're not talking about a $6k SLR with massive ports and light heads, it's a go pro. It's 4" by 3" and needs absolutely no interaction to capture your dives.

That goes a long way to explain why the results 99.7% of GoPro users get is nothing like the stuff on the Red Bull / GoPro TV commercials.

I cave and wreck dive - and prefer to keep my hands free while taking video.

These videos can take on a life of their own in the Accidents and Incidents forum. An excellent source of testimony (and another bugaboo entanglement object of dread) to offer mute testimony as to the new status of availability of one's girlfriend.

A "drone" GoPro on dive #4.

A) what could go wrong?
B) what could be gained?

Answer to both: not much.

But for that and many other reasons, I would suggest waiting at least until Dive #5. :wink:

I certified OW in on July 3 and had a Go Pro 3 on my wrist for the dive. After a couple of dives I started leaving it home. I saw that the video was less stellar (read: really crap cameraman) than I wanted and the only way to fix it was to become a better diver. So, for the last 35 dives I have been working on buoyancy, trim and SAC.

I intend to take it out again tomorrow to work on fish identification because spearfishing is next :D I use the first generation wrist strap and like it, but there is a flaw in it where the velcro straps overlap. I will continue to use it but will replace with a gen 2 soon.

There is an entire GoPro forum here ...

GoPro Video

... "when" it's time for you to consider diving with a camera.

Whatever mount you have it's a good idea to use the coiled lanyard attached to a D ring, so you can let go of the camera without losing it.

Are we talking about OW certification dive #4? Most students are distracted enough to begin with, I would not allow a student to dive with a camera during OW cert dives. Even a mounted GoPro.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom