Diving with a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a 30 is pretty big for a pony.... it would difficult to attach....

better to sling it as a stage....

better to sling it as a stage....

Actually, I back-mount a 30cuft Pony. I use a handy bracket called "Super Pony Tamer", it has two attachment points and releases easily with a single pull pin. Pony is on my right, one extra pound of lead on me left and my trim is perfect.

Actually, I back-mount a 30cuft Pony. I use a handy bracket called "Super Pony Tamer", it has two attachment points and releases easily with a single pull pin. Pony is on my right, one extra pound of lead on me left and my trim is perfect.

Dang! I've got a 14-cubic foot dry suit inflation bottle mounted like a pony, and I though that was BIG.............

Diving with a pony, like most aspects of recreational diving, is about comfort. If it makes you feel better to dive with a pony, dive with one; you're not diving because it makes other people happy.
Personally, I dive with two tanks. When I'm diving as a PSD, it's solo tended zero-vis entanglement rich diving with a support team. Every one of us back-mounts a quick-release pony... even when 90% of our dives are ~ 20 mins and < 35 ft. For recreational diving, I sidemount. Not because I cave-dive, but because it's very comfortable and, with the majority of my rec dives solo, I like having the redundancy. If I have a problem, I shut off that tank, switch regs, fix the problem and/or surface. In both cases I don't dive with multiple independent tanks because I'm worried about running out of air.... I dive that way because I don't have to worry about air or equipment failures.
While there's no pressing technical reason I can think of to dive with a pony when rec diving with a good buddy, if it makes you more comfortable go for it.
The one caveat is that, if you dive with a pony bottle, know how to use that pony bottle. Remember DevonDiver's example; that's all about training. One of my buddies started an ice dive on his pony and ran out of air. His response was to switch his block and surface. While noticeably unhappy, you'd be surprised how much time you've bought when you're effectively on an 80 cu ft pony. Practice with your pony, and decide if the pony is for you or you and your buddy before you hit the water.

Diving with a pony, like most aspects of recreational diving, is about comfort. If it makes you feel better to dive with a pony, dive with one; you're not diving because it makes other people happy.
Personally, I dive with two tanks. When I'm diving as a PSD, it's solo tended zero-vis entanglement rich diving with a support team. Every one of us back-mounts a quick-release pony... even when 90% of our dives are ~ 20 mins and < 35 ft. For recreational diving, I sidemount. Not because I cave-dive, but because it's very comfortable and, with the majority of my rec dives solo, I like having the redundancy. If I have a problem, I shut off that tank, switch regs, fix the problem and/or surface. In both cases I don't dive with multiple independent tanks because I'm worried about running out of air.... I dive that way because I don't have to worry about air or equipment failures.
While there's no pressing technical reason I can think of to dive with a pony when rec diving with a good buddy, if it makes you more comfortable go for it.
The one caveat is that, if you dive with a pony bottle, know how to use that pony bottle. Remember DevonDiver's example; that's all about training. One of my buddies started an ice dive on his pony and ran out of air. His response was to switch his block and surface. While noticeably unhappy, you'd be surprised how much time you've bought when you're effectively on an 80 cu ft pony. Practice with your pony, and decide if the pony is for you or you and your buddy before you hit the water.

I started diving in a single tank then I added a backmounted pony, then I went to manifolded doubles, then I took them apart and dove them independent backmount and now I'm starting to sidemount. I've done about ten dives in sidemount, the more I sidemount the more I like it. The reason I tried sidemount was having the valves where I can reach and see them easily, and it's nice doing a giant stride and then climbing a ladder with no tanks on my back. And I'm not a cave diver either.

I was told there were really only two sizes for ponies; 30 & 40 cft. Smaller is a bail out and bigger is back gas. :)

If I am going to use my 40, it is on dives where my main tank is bigger than an 80. I have been holding back on posting these pictures from a couple years ago, 'cause I was avoiding the flames. Anymore I don't really care about flames. :coffee:

These pictures are after the dive, and I was holding the whole rig in the shower by grabbing the pony valve; to test my mounting. Nice new long bungee cord with plastic hooks and a short piece of good rope. Can't say as I noticed it on the dive, but I was using my left hand oceanic slim line alternate as pony reg and I will never do that again. :shakehead:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/204383-carthaginian-shore.html

That's the link to my dive report; my ohana was gentle with their flames, but I never showed the two pics above. :D

The photos have been moved to smugmug;

http://halemano.smugmug.com/Underwater/Carthaginian-007/4157391_BogeJ#242687702_obNNm

Last edited:
I always dive at the very least with doubles, sometimes on a second dive I may have half my air left in my doubles so take my 40 cuft pony bottle with me, that way I get a warm and fuzzy feeling :wink:

I backmount a 40 CF pony...................but my main back gas is two more doubled 40s.:D

Back when I was young and a lot fitter, I would sling a 72 while wearing another one for diving with my friends who were using HP 100's or better. That was ackward because of the steel tank being so negative. I split a set of double AL50's for times when I am diving a 72 with the same buddies now and plan on using that gas as part of the dive. I seldom ever draw the pressure down by more than 500 PSI. I start with the pony bottle until I have about the same cuft of air as my buddies and then finish the dive on my main tank. It's worked well this way and I maintain an air supply to assist a buddy with a failure this way.

For normal diving below 80-90 ft, I usually sling a 13 or a 30 depending one whether my buddies are diving AL80's or 100cuft tanks. It seems I use a bit less gas than them for the most part but I don't like to draw things down too low.

To keep it on topic, I carry a 30 when I'm diving in a new location. I was snagged in line diving a single and although I had enough air on my back, I would have felt a lot better if there was an extra 20 minutes supply with me if cutting loose took too long..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom