diving with children is same as solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dv4fun

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been diving solo and with my daughter and I noticed the attention to detail is the same when I dive with her (13 years old) as when I go solo. :D So generally everyone diving with children is as well as diving solo, except for the factor of having to monitor the other diver. Is my hypothesis correct ?

I don't think your solo unless your--well--solo. If your tending a buddy, a weaker diver, a new diver, especially your child then your buddy diving with a subordinate diver. N

It may be a similar experience if you're expecting to have someone looking after you (based on the stereo-type assumption that a kid will not be paying attention). If so, then this brings up the need to have a plan for your own back-up.

But I would also think that whenever you dive with someone else, especially someone who is really depending on your assistance, that your roll as a buddy has significantly increased in its importance. And with that, I would not say it's the same.

Another point... even if you feel you are totally responsible for both people's safety...
If YOU have a problem, there's still a second complete set of gear for you to take advantage of. Even if your daughter doesn't have the ability to provide assistance, YOU can take the initiative and make use of the redundancy supplied by HER gear... not at all like being solo.

Tod:
It may be a similar experience if you're expecting to have someone looking after you (based on the stereo-type assumption that a kid will not be paying attention). If so, then this brings up the need to have a plan for your own back-up.

But I would also think that whenever you dive with someone else, especially someone who is really depending on your assistance, that your roll as a buddy has significantly increased in its importance. And with that, I would not say it's the same.

Very good point , your role as a superbuddy has emerged and becouse of the role change it eliminates the definition of solo.

Dv4fun:
I have been diving solo and with my daughter and I noticed the attention to detail is the same when I dive with her (13 years old) as when I go solo. :D So generally everyone diving with children is as well as diving solo, except for the factor of having to monitor the other diver. Is my hypothesis correct ?

NO

IslandHopper:
Another point... even if you feel you are totally responsible for both people's safety...
If YOU have a problem, there's still a second complete set of gear for you to take advantage of. Even if your daughter doesn't have the ability to provide assistance, YOU can take the initiative and make use of the redundancy supplied by HER gear... not at all like being solo.

Ok I am 6'6" tall and weight 235LBS. now my 12 year old is 5'3" and all of 85LBS. what gear of hers is going to fit me? I carry my own backup gas and cutting tools I can maintain bouncy without any fins, I can dive without a mask and maintain my bouncy just fine without it, I can get in and out of all my gear in about 60 seconds. I am in very good physical shape and can dump weight and still maintain a safety stop with no bc, ya I think you are right my 12 year old is really going to help.

jtivat:
Ok I am 6'6" tall and weight 235LBS. now my 12 year old is 5'3" and all of 85LBS. what gear of hers is going to fit me? I carry my own backup gas and cutting tools I can maintain bouncy without any fins, I can dive without a mask and maintain my bouncy just fine without it, I can get in and out of all my gear in about 60 seconds. I am in very good physical shape and can dump weight and still maintain a safety stop with no bc, ya I think you are right my 12 year old is really going to help.

The air in the tank and the extra reg might though.

jtivat:

Just because you have enough redundancy with you to feel that you won't need to utilise the air in her tank or her alternate reg, doesn't mean that that extra air and reg aren't there. Also, whilst you might not feel that a 12 year old can help you in any way if things went wrong, I tend to disagree.
If you were entangled in something and having difficulty getting free. I feel that any 12 year old that I would feel comfortable to take diving would be able to help cut me free of that entanglement. I am certainly at an advantage over when I dive solo.

If I go buddy diving with my twinset etc...and am effectively self sufficient, that doesn't mean that I am solo diving does it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom