Diving with contact lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving with contacts either soft or hard since 1985. I drop one in my mask once in awhile but collect it when I get out. (Hard lenses) Never tried opening my eyes underwater without a mask but if I have to I will.

I wear contacts for all types of outdoor activities, and I can't see any reason not to do it just because I'm lugging my dive gear. No issues.

I have a backup prescription mask, though, for those days I didn't put on my contacts for some reason.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I actually do loose my contacts during dives.
It has happened about eight times now, out of 86 dives.

Usually out of one eye, but once out of both.

I actually do loose my contacts during dives.
It has happened about eight times now, out of 86 dives.

Usually out of one eye, but once out of both.

Have you asked your eye doctor whether you might have a problem with the fit of your contacts? They should not fall out.

All the time. I was certified 10 years ago and now have over 420 logged dives. Every single one in soft disposable contact lenses. Never had an issue, but I do always have spares with me on shore or on the boat. However, I've never once lost a contact lens while diving.

Somewhat on the side: So far I've avoided doing mask drills while wearing contacts, opting to do them on those days I wear my prescription mask.

I guess I'm a little too paranoid, since I've been judo wrestling with lenses for many years and only once or twice had an issue with a misplaced lens (got hit square on the eyeball, so the lens slid up behind the eyeball. Took me a few minutes to extract it...), but I'm still reluctant.

How many have done mask drills and maskless swims (eyes open, of course) without losing a lens?

Somewhat on the side: So far I've avoided doing mask drills while wearing contacts, opting to do them on those days I wear my prescription mask.

I guess I'm a little too paranoid, since I've been judo wrestling with lenses for many years and only once or twice had an issue with a misplaced lens (got hit square on the eyeball, so the lens slid up behind the eyeball. Took me a few minutes to extract it...), but I'm still reluctant.

How many have done mask drills and maskless swims (eyes open, of course) without losing a lens?

I have. I typically do no mask drills with my eyes closed. You can't see a thing without a mask anyway, so what's the point of opening your eyes? However, in the pool, I have opened my eyes with my contacts and no mask. I open them half way roughly and have never lost a lens. I was a DM so had to regularly demo no-mask drills in the pool. I've never lost a contact lens underwater.

I've done it for years with no problem. Never tried Rx lenses 4 mask, though. Can even swim under water with eyes open and have not lost a lens yet, but they occasionally dislocate and it takes a few seconds topside to reorient them. Never a problem with mask on

Prefer to do them with eyes half open, as I am also a bit paranoid that I will lose a contact, but have had no issues. Did the Fundies course which requires a maskless swim and had no issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom